• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling a Deuce

dieseler

I was thinking about buying a M35A2 Deuce and I was gonna haul it with my three axle gooseneck trailer. The width between the fenders is over 80 inches, I believe it's something like 83 or 84. Will the front axle of the truck clear that and I was thinking I could take the outside dual off and they would fit too. I haul my 17000 pound backhoe with the trailer so I know it haul it the weight no problem and it's 30 feet long. Would this work for hauling one of these trucks? Should I back it on or pull it straight on the trailer?

Thanks for any info

crazyplowboy

It depends on the height of your fenders. Keep in mind that these dimensions were eyeballed up after a long day, but they should by really close. The width from the outside of one front tire to the outside of the other one is 79'' at the ground. At the most outer part of the front hubs I get a width of 91''. The hubs are 17'' from the ground.

dm22630

Your backhoe is longer & weighs more......so if you can pull it, you can pull a deuce.

If you cant fit between the fenders, you should remove the 4 outside wheels from the two rear axles & back on your trailer. Deuces are about 8 ft wide I think.

dburt

Just remember that in some states you have to be licensed commercial (both truck and driver) to have a GCVWR that exceeds 26,000 lbs. Some state really enforce this, other states let it slide somewhat. My '07 one-ton Dodge 4X4 dually flatbed diesel weighs right at 10,000 lbs empty. My three axle 25ft goose neck with winch weighs real close to 6,000 lbs empty. My deuce with winch weighs in at 13,700 lbs. These are all weights that have been weighed on a state highway DOT scale, these are not guesstimates. Do the math, take into account what state you are in, how rigidly your state enforces it's DMV/DOT laws, and then ask yourself if you feel lucky.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can, have a ground guide when you load. HUGE pucker factor going up and down on the trailer without one. I loaded a deuce water truck on a flatbed, and was shaking when I was done!

dburt

Dieseler, you have a huge leg up on a lot of folks by having a CDL and commercial plates on your truck! Just make sure you don't drastically overload the carry capacity of your truck and trailer like a lot of people do, it sounds like you have experience hauling heavy stuff so you should do fine.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine as long as everything is in good working order. I've hauled many deuces on my triple axle behind my 3/4 ton without any issues (except one bearing that didn't have enough grease that went out on me!). Here's a pic of my setup

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, ya the one thing I learned is keep the trailer bearings greased BY HAND! Those zerks in the hub don't get grease to the outer bearings...guess how I found that out :cry:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine. Don't know if makes a difference but I make sure all my equipment looks top notch going down the road. Don't want to give the DOT any reason to stop me. Not that they need a reason.

This is my tow rig

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks