• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling armor questions

Sikorsky502

I'm looking at getting a truck and trailer to haul my M901 and before I do I have a couple of questions regarding permits and allowable weight. I'd really like to do a Hemtt or PLS tractor and M870 trailer set up, as I really like the look and I can put a knuckle crane on the Hemtt. I've looked into the laws in Alabama, but it's a little hard to understand since I've never had to calculate weights and axle loading before. If I do a PLS tractor and M870 it's 8 axles with a loaded total weight near 100k lbs. any ideas or advice? And yes kubota I know you recommend an M915 with aluminum trailer, just curious to everyone else's opinions.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over 80K, 102" wide and 13'-6" high is typically over sized. I would go with a M915.

Jakelc15

I'd call your local permit office. Most likely they will issue a permit. Your gonna be over weight and over width. In not sure how wide or at what weight they will require a chase vehicle. Evey time you move it they will require you to provide your route and they may have you avoids certain bridges. There is a bridge weight formula. You should look it up and see if your proposed tractor and trailer has the proper axle spread to haul your tracked

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is any way to stay under 80,000 lbs I would do it. Make it all green and don't ask for trouble. Permits, chase cars and having look over weight will be painful.

Jakelc15

Around here tow trucks (wreckers) are exempt on weight. I once went through the scales at 140,000 lbs and got waved right through. Your over width no matter what. Your gonna need a permit. If your not going far maybe look into farm tags, they have some loopholes too. Let us know what you come up with

Sikorsky502

I'm going to call the office here in Alabama this week and see what they say. I'll give updates as I find out anything. The website went up to 84k lvs for up to six axles, but I'm wondering if with more axles I can squeeze some more tonnage on. The PLS is within limits of width, but maybe the trailer is out. I get get a hmmwv for a chase truck if needed and get the girlfriend to drive it :p

datadawg

Is there any kind of loophole if you can register something as antique? Here in PA, they didn't even require GVWR to be put on my registration when I got my 5 ton. Worth checking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks