• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling camper trailer with electric brakes

wilfreeman

I pulled my car hauler and M38a1 to the Denton rally last year (about 4,500#) with NO trailer brakes. Pulled the car hauler with my tractor and box scrape (around 6,000#) earlier this year with NO brakes - would not do it again! Last month I installed a brake controller, fuse box and battery equalizer to run the brake controller and other goodies (12v receptacles for gps and phone charger). The gps and charger worked out great going to the Denton rally this weekend, but I didn't pull the trailer/Jeep. Check out my blog (address in my signature) for the install. I used a hitch made for an '88 chevy 1500 - perfect width.

Katahdin

Yeah, stopping a trailer with electric brakes is no problem, you almost don't know its there.

In highway hill climbs you'll be doing 35mph, everyone will be passing you doing 70.

I also towbar my Jeep TJ around (under 4K) without brakes on that, stopping is OK but allow yourself some extra room. I only know its there from looking in a backup camera.

Of course one time I was passed by a 40 foot motor home towing a full size GMC pickup, and I was completely unloaded!

wilfreeman

Yeah, stopping a trailer with electric brakes is no problem, you almost don't know its there.

In highway hill climbs you'll be doing 35mph, everyone will be passing you doing 70.

I also towbar my Jeep TJ around (under 4K) without brakes on that, stopping is OK but allow yourself some extra room. I only know its there from looking in a backup camera.

Of course one time I was passed by a 40 foot motor home towing a full size GMC pickup, and I was completely unloaded!
I've been hearing a lot of talk about front and rear cameras on big trucks - I think I am going to look into getting one (or 2).

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a 'direct from china' dashcam in my car that I can easily move to the deuce. Contemplating getting several more so each truck can have it's own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks