• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hauling crushed stone

MaiNiaK

So I decided to fix a few sections of my driveway that got washed out.
Without thinking of weight, I went to a local construction Co and had them load me up with 4yrds of 1 1/2" crushed stone. The trucked handled the weight well. On my 3rd trip they loaded me with a different loader (3yrd bucket). Needless to say I ended up with 5yrds. I was able to get the load home and up the mountain but the Truck felt tipsy on corners.

Afterwards we went online to figure out how much crushed stone weighs. According to a couple different sites online, 4yrds of crushed stone weighs roughly 10,800 pounds, 5yrds 13,500. Which is way to much weight to be hauling in a 2 1/2 ton truck.

This is a 4yrd load.
image.jpg

With a 4yrd load the bump stops are 1 1/2 inches from the axel.

Has anyone considered putting airbags or a timbren kit on there truck yet?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It should be fine at 5 tons the 2.5 ton rating is off-road. It should have a 5 ton on road rating. The big single tires need more pressure for heavier loads or it will feel tipsy.
Will

MaiNiaK

It handles the 4yrd loads (10,800#) well. It was the 5yrd load that made it feel tipsy. I did think of sidewall roll, but my CTIS was set to highway. I haven't tested the actual tire pressure though. The rear tires were squatted some.

I do plan to cut my subframe, behind the compressor/spare tire, plate both sides and add a dump cylinder kit.
That got me thinking about spring fatigue and the possibility of adding airbags.
Just curious if anyone else has added them yet or thought about it?

I know someone will chime in and say I should have gotten a 5 ton. I did consider the 6 wheel drive. I just like the 4 wheeled rigs better, more versatile and easier maneuverability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks