• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have casting numbers off motor need help with ID please

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I had a 6.2 in my truck but it is a 6.5 and from what I can tell it is the better block. Can someone please confirm? Was hoping for a GEP but oh well. Thank you.

Mark

h217 paass side

y00091097 020" on tag

Resized_20160930_145756.jpg

Tag says 03apr08 The above is the polymer coating that came off.

refit tag-01.jpg

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a rebuild motor data plate...take a look at the tach drive embossment, which was does the bolts face? Left or right...it's on the rear center of the block.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes but I hope it is a late model version that does not have the cracking problem. Can the turbo setup be installed on this motor. No idea how one could drill out the oil passage inside the casting without putting metal in the block from the drilling.

Mark

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thing about cracked blocks folks was a turbo issue guys...not the NA. Yes the GEP is a better block, but NA's didn't suffer from the #8 cylinder crack issue. Just drive the truck till it blows, that's really all you can do.
to tell if it's a GEP block, look for the diamond under the injection pump <>, it's 2 triangles butted up to each other...referred to as a diamond. There is also embossing of 506 in the valley in casted nipples on the side of the block valley.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I thought it was all the earlier 6.5s and she runs like a champ and only has 17K on her since the refit. I will look for the diamonds and thanks again.

Mark

This thing about cracked blocks folks was a turbo issue guys...not the NAs. Yes the GEP is a better block, but NA's didn't suffer from the #8 cylinder crack issue. Just drive the truck till it blows, that's really all you can do.
to tell if it's a GEP block, look for the diamond under the injection pump <>, it's 2 triangles butted up to each other...referred to as a diamond. There is also embossing of 506 in the valley in casted nipples on the side of the block valley.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just plain valve covers no markings at all. Can't see any diamonds but it is hard to see in the valley. Would not the block casting numbers tell what engine it is? Is it still possible it is a GEP motor?
Block casting numbers

h217 pass side rear of block

12555506 drivers side rear of block

Thanks for the help.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motors rebuild tag lists the rebuild as 2008 so if the block was good enough for a rebuild it would seem it would last for if t was to crack it would have happened in its first life. Sound reasonable?

Mark

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GEP blocks have a different casting number order. GM blocks are (ex) H217, GEP block number (on the rear pass side) would look like 11 21 J, ( Nov. 21, 2002)Block.jpg

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Back to back triangles are impossible to see under the IP without a bore scope. This is what you are looking for.GEP valley.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Back to back triangles are impossible to see under the IP without a bore scope. This is what you are looking for.View attachment 646892

All the markings are visible with a flashlight...the triangles are visible from the rear directly under the IJ pump.
it does help to clean whatever garbage and crap out of the vallley to expose the markings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks