• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have you ever had your tank dipped?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a transfer tank in the back of my pickup for around 10 years. It usually has off road fuel in it. I've only been stopped for it one time and the DOT dude just wanted to verify the capacity. Anything over 119 needs to placarded..

randyscycle

I often find that anytime you find yourself confronted by any law officer, it's just best to be very polite, courteous, and save any orating for the courtroom.

No details, no confessions and nothing other than general cooperation on the side of the road.......

dabtl

OPCON:

I took a trip to Mississippi some years ago. I had two plastic jerry cans of water in the bed of my truck. We got up early before daylight and went to the truck. One of the cans was empty laying beside the truck. Gas was about $2.75 at the time. I never did see which car around there had half a tank of water, but somewhere in Mississippi there is one.:-D

jj

I drove a VW Rabbit diesel daily (sometimes twice a day, it was ok to sleep, the car knew the way) to work. OCCASSIONALLY, i'd use red #2, like when i'd get home at 0400, realize i was empty, and know the phone was going to ring in six hours. It was quicker to tap the oil tank for five and drop it in the car. No one ever dipped the tank. Most of the traffic stops quickly evolved into, "Gee, I didn't think any of these things were still around!" I don't think i'm going to risk it in the Green Thing. Too much of an attention getter to start with.

jason@snakeriver

Here in Idaho, it actually takes a Federal IRS agent to dip a tank.
I did get pulled over by the ITD boys last fall and they raised hell with me on my combined axle weight on my M-812 bridge trucks as the axles are a little forward for the GVW of 54,000 lbs.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is not about dipping but about weight and it is loosely based on Johnny Cash's song All I do is drive, I wrote it as a lieutenant running convoys through CONUS and certain states where tough on our loads.

Seems like everytime I roll into this communist state
I've got some blue light flashing trooper want to check me for my weight
He says pull it over driver and roll up on my scale
don't you look so frightened and don't you get so pale
Then he steps out of this shack and says ain't you glad that your alive
Pull your rig around back and take thirty-eight hundred off the drive

If you want next rally I will sing it for you.

mdog

I was pulled over and my tank checked while driving a diesel pickup about 10 or 15 years ago. In South Carolina most farmers ran off road fuel when diesel pickups first became popular. For convience, money saved, ignorance, and because no one seemed to care. Well the state started to care and when they started roadside checks word spread around the state real quick that the fines were big and most everyone quit using it. I am not sure of the agency doing the checking but I think it was the same one that checks scales and fuel pumps. They were not local. They checked a few farmers probably in every county and I have not heard of any more checks in years. I had stopped using it many years before I was checked and have not heard of anyone locally being in violation. I thought I heard the fine could cover every mile driven by the vehicle based on the odometer.

case-basketcase

Does anyone know how or if you can clean the red dye from a fillrite fuel pump and hose that was used for farm diesel? I would like to move the pump and hose reel to a on-road diesel tank and save the cost of another pump and hose.

PsycoBob

If the general public won't be pumping it, I'd just put yellow paint or electrical tape in strategic places to keep you from getting confused. I remember seeing jerry cans with the handles wrapped in red/yellow tape to denote gas/diesel.

littlebob

If it gets up high again next summer, people will get creative and and LEO will probably be forced to check more by some new law to collect revenue.
littlebob

ETHOS

If it gets up high again next summer, people will get creative and and LEO will probably be forced to check more by some new law to collect revenue.
littlebob

yup, when the motivation to use cheap fuel rises, so does the dipping, it creates tax revenue, and justifies the expense of law enforcement

case-basketcase

So the red dye only colours the fuel and not the equipment? So if I run some on-road diesel through the pump and hoses to rinse it, look like I should be ok.

Bighurt

Red diesel can not be used in agriculture if the vehicle is operated on public roads. It can only be used in vehicles that do not leave private property.
It may depend on the state. With custom combine and single farmers with quarters spread out its difficult not to use a public road. I know here Ag equipment are permitted to use all state highways and less. That being said I've never actually checked the law here on Dyed Diesel but I can't image it being against the law to use equipment on public roads that run dyed diesel. I do know if you run Dyed in a POV it can't leave your property period. I think the line is drawn between vehicle and equipment.

I know our Truck stop has pumps for it...I suppose that's just for tanks and trailered equipment though...LOL

With the law its best that when in doubt, check it out....

Cheers

mikes47jeep

It may depend on the state. With custom combine and single farmers with quarters spread out its difficult not to use a public road. I know here Ag equipment are permitted to use all state highways and less. That being said I've never actually checked the law here on Dyed Diesel but I can't image it being against the law to use equipment on public roads that run dyed diesel. I do know if you run Dyed in a POV it can't leave your property period. I think the line is drawn between vehicle and equipment.

I know our Truck stop has pumps for it...I suppose that's just for tanks and trailered equipment though...LOL

With the law its best that when in doubt, check it out....

Cheers

I know off-road can be used in the refrigerated trailers, that’s another reason it’s at truck stops.

As far as I understand with any piece of farm/construction equipment is allowed to run off-road when being transported over the road, because it isn’t registered, or ment to be used primarily as an on road vehicle.

Mike

emr

When using NJ " intransit" plates on equipment U are definetiliy able to run off road or dyed fuel, ON the road, These are for equipment over the road, in transit to and from a site, so never say never...other states may call intransit plates different names but all have em, and they are a very very large grey area, as long as one NEVER carries a load of any kind. i run em on my 925 and it is perfectly legal to do so, ...Randy

motorolanut

Not me....Drove alot in WV..Never sticked...Just stay away from weigh stations in any state..People aways BOO HOO about the pollution thing, there was FAR FAR more Pollution
being generated during the Industrial Revolution...We as American's are just trying to save a few $$$$ instead of letting the Power Elite Familys and OPEC Rape our Hind end off.
Oh and Trying to save our injections pumps too....Enough soap box...amen:|

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks