• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have you ever made a soldier cry?

ratat98

I've had my deuce for a little over a year, and in that time I've given rides, talked to veterans about it, and even helped with a tornado recovery by hauling 2.5 tons of bottled water to the victims, but today something happened that really hit me and I really don't know how to take it.
My deuce has been out of commission for the past couple weeks while I changed its head gaskets, and I finally got them done and decided to go cruising around town in it today, and had a great drive! As I was pulling into my driveway, I noticed a nice tricked out dodge ram pull in behind me. I hop out with the truck still running and a younger guy walks up to the truck and can't take his eyes off it.
He introduces himself to me, tells me he just got back from Afghanistan and "hadn't seen a truck like this since basic" and tells me that he loved them.
Well, I had the names of the local soldiers put on the drivers side of the hood in honor of them so I take him around to show him, and he stared at it for a moment, notices his name, then shakes my hand and quickly leaves. I don't think he was upset, but he clearly didn't want to cry in front of me. I just had to stand there for a moment and gather my thoughts. I still don't really know what to think about it. Like I've said before, I never realized how much of an emotional journey would come along with owning a retired steel soldier. Gotta love it!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had Vietnam vets get a tear in their eye when they saw my display at the Gilbert PA show past few years. Always great to get a good emotional reaction for your efforts to preserve their history and honor them in the process.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fine lad was taken back to see that a regular ole' Joe, who didn't know him from Adam, gave a darn to honor him and his brothers for their service. Letting him know it is not all in vain. As the Aussies say, "Good on ya', Mate!"

This is what makes it all worth owning these vehicles. Sparking the memories. It's like being a rolling historian.

anjay22

Awesome! That does mean a lot especially from myself once being in the same situation of that soldier. Thank you!

P.S. May I use your idea? :D

Last week I took the wife in my deuce to the store down the street to get a few things. While she was in the store along came a Vietnam vet Marine with a big grin on his face. The first words he said to me were "Man, seeing that truck brings back some memories!" I climbed down out of the deuce to shake his hand thank him for his service, and we stood there and talked for a few minutes. When I told him of my plan to bob my truck and explained the details of a bob job, the smile on his face just kept getting bigger and bigger.
He told me that was the coolest thing he'd ever heard and he wanted to do it too. I informed him that there's plenty of these trucks out there and they're not too hard to find and gave him some leads on how to find one. He sounded pretty enthusiastic about wanting to build a bobber for himself. I get the feeling there's gonna be another bobber around here soon!
:driver:

robert c neth

Banned
i was and engineer at a nursing home for years.when i drove my deuce or wc dodge to work there were always vetrens in the lot looking at them.due to the rules i could not give rides to them but the stories they shared were priceless.

ratat98

The guy found me on Facebook and wrote me a than you:

"Just wanted to say thank you, it was great seeing that old thing in its glory, it's been awhile, and the names on the side just goes to show you how much support we have from all of you!"

I'm so proud right now. :grd:

pinzgauer pete

It happened twice to me personally, once at the dump getting rid of some garbage one of the attendants came over touching my truck and telling me how he had been in a Pinzgauer in afganistan and how the vehicle had saved his life many times by getting him and his boys out of some hairy situations. The second time was in front of my home, a man I see jogging down my road every day and who does a victory dance everytime we pass one another stopped at my home and asked me to look inside. Of course I agreed and when he opened the door he took a deep breath, turning to me and saying the smell was just as he remembered. Both of these men were wiping away tears at the memories this truck brought back to them...and I was happy to be part of that.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These stories remind me of an experience that in essence changed my life. I was at an air show in January 2003 as a member of the First Florida Chapter MVPA. At the time, I didn’t own any MV’s. I spotted a gentleman wearing a WWII Vet hat leaning on the flat fender of an MB/GPW. He had tears trickling down his face. I approached him cautiously and told him I was with the Club. I asked him if he was OK. He told me a story of his experience in Europe (I can’t remember exactly where he was). He and a friend were running from the Germans in a jeep, hedgerows on both sides of the road. His friend was driving; he was in the passenger seat. Bullets were flying - tires got shot out but the jeep kept on rolling and got them out of the line of fire. The driver lost control; the jeep rolled up a hedgerow, flipped, caught on fire, and killed his friend. He did everything to pull his friend to safety but he was trapped by the steering wheel. He told me that jeep saved his life. I saw the pain in his eyes. He deeply missed his buddy but he was thankful to be alive. I was speechless and tearing up. When I regained my composure I did what I could to console him, and thank him for his service. He thanked me for bringing the vehicles to the air show, specifically that jeep (which belonged to another club member). I have never been so humbled in my life. I can’t believe that after nearly 10 years, I still remember that cool, windy day like it was yesterday.

From that moment on, I knew that I had been led to a noble cause. I am grateful to preserve military history to honor those who used it. This isn't just a car club where the shiniest ride gets the trophy. In some cases, vehicles just like ours saved lives in the heat of battle.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you ever made a soldier cry?
I don't know if I ever made one cry but several have made me tear up.

I have noticed that whenever I'm in one of my military trucks, be it the beater deuce or the show quality M927, I tend to drive with a lot more patience to avoid bringing any negative attention to the truck.

My truck stays parked at the local Ace hardware store (with the owner's permission) and I often work on it up there. It is amazing how many patrons of the hardware store stop to talk with me about the truck. Many of them have served and I always stop whatever I am working on to chat with those fine gentlemen. It is funny because some of them will talk and talk and others just sort of stare and reminisce. Either way you can tell how many memories the truck brings back to them and I am honored to be a part of that.

vtdeucedriver

Twice.........................keeping the details to myself but lets just say that the passenger seat could be the couch at a therapist office for Veterans. Most will not go to a normal shrink but if they get in that seat and there is a ear willing to listen, its pretty powerful.

ratat98

Twice.........................keeping the details to myself but lets just say that the passenger seat could be the couch at a therapist office for Veterans. Most will not go to a normal shrink but if they get in that seat and there is a ear willing to listen, its pretty powerful.
I've noticed this too! I took mine to a car show last year and i got more conversations than the 4 brand new vettes sitting right in front of it. Gotta love it!

197thhhc

The guy found me on Facebook and wrote me a than you:

"Just wanted to say thank you, it was great seeing that old thing in its glory, it's been awhile, and the names on the side just goes to show you how much support we have from all of you!"

I'm so proud right now. :grd:
You should be. It means so much to a vet to see someone who really cares and is willing to show it. Thank you from a vet that has teared up a few times himself.

readyman

At our last static display show a female vet from 'The Sandbox' talked herself into tears next to my HMMWV. It wasn't combat. It was the HEAT rollover training for a claustrophobic female in Kevlar and heavy gear explaining her terror of just the HMMWV simulator! And the length of her service there scheduled it multiple times for refreshers. Only been back here a few months too. Therapist, yes.

readyman

I felt sorry for the shiney red Antique Firetrucks and classic Cop Cars(w/sirens!) but we had a crowd of 20 constantly around the MV. I loved the 'young' families where the vet starts explaining every single detail about the MV and it's ordinance to his young bride or his toddlers, that's the best.
I've noticed this too! I took mine to a car show last year and i got more conversations than the 4 brand new vettes sitting right in front of it. Gotta love it!

BLK HMMWV

I felt sorry for the shiney red Antique Firetrucks and classic Cop Cars(w/sirens!) but we had a crowd of 20 constantly around the MV. I loved the 'young' families where the vet starts explaining every single detail about the MV and it's ordinance to his young bride or his toddlers, that's the best.
I've experienced this many times.
Helps me learn more about my own vehicle.
I normaly bring along a few different types and styles of vests so the families can get a better idea of just how uncomfortable it is to deploy into and out of a HMMWV while wearing there gear. Let alone it's not 102 plus degree's and there isn't anyone trying to kill you.

Lonestarduece

I've never made a soldier cry but have a few make me water up. I've never served but my 86 year old Dad did in WWII (and his Dad in WWI). In fact he was so ready to serve he lied about his age so he could sign up to defend his country. He was a tail gunner in a B17 and very proud to do what he did. I am VERY proud of what he (they) did. I could go on and on but i'm getting off the point of the thread. I was asked to drive my deuce in the Christmas parade last year (avatar pic) and carry kids for my sons school. Of course Ol Glory was flying on the truck. Needless to say it got a LOT of attention. Of course I was proud to represent my son's school but the moment I will never forget was when I looked out my window and an older gentleman was standing at attention saluting. I wanted to stop the truck to get out and shake his hand but we had directions to NOT stop. Not knowing if it was appropriate for me to salute back since I never served I gave a friendly wave and a silent thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks