• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have you installed 3.07 gears in your truck? Kindly step in I have something to ask

Third From Texas

as far as I know all the thirds came on axles and they had to be shipped as a whole axle... then dismantled. The couple buyers who grabbed the MRAP axles shipped them to themselves by the truck load. Ton of money involved at a gamble of... "will I find buyers??" and good bit of time (money) disassembling and inspecting them to ensure they are good take off's.

Its called reward for the risks. Yes there is some rapers out there... will admit that too but lets not loose sight of the difference between the risk takers and the rapers.
Yeah, yeah.

And "rarity", "supply and demand". yada-yada...

;p

Awesomlmtv

Originally I had planned to do this myself, but looking at the work decided to have Bryce W do the gears on my truck. It is by far the best upgrade.

I noticed that it is quieter, rpms come down to a reasonable range at 55-60 mph (where I cruise) and temperatures are lower. Perhaps the 3116 (A0) does not get as hot at lower rpm, or the transmission is staying cooler. The axle growl is gone (correct gear lash set) and the spot where the front resonates moved up in speed due to the driveshafts spinning slower. The 3.07 ratio is very close to optimal unless you want to cruise 70+. I did notice that the transmission does not shift down as early going up steep hills (7-10% grades), however I typically select a gear manually. I also put the transmission into learning mode post swap, which helped.

It is an intense amount of work that took Bryce W and his mechanic two and a half full days to complete. They had all the tools lined up, and facilities to deal with 6 gallons of murky gear oil. Watching them work confirmed my suspicion that I would have been in WAY over my head, despite having tools, technical skill, and access to heavy truck repair facilities. It’s just a really big job.

Expensive, but worth it. A lesser road truck chassis would have cost about what I paid for this truck plus the gears and would have only been half as awesome.

spankybear

But but.,... they sold them for 80 bucks....

I asked one of the folks if they have installed them yet... nothing but crickets... It's a lot of work... especially the front. Sure you can remove the front by taking off the king pins but you can't see the seals and bearings... My seals had issues.
My LMTV is a pleasure to drive. Even more so with the new gears... After the CUCV blazer this is the best military vehicle I have driven!!! Cruising the back roads is fun. The truck runs AWESOME... It seems to shift smother with these gears... it was a win win in my book

Third From Texas

I asked one of the folks if they have installed them yet... nothing but crickets... It's a lot of work... especially the front. Sure you can remove the front by taking off the king pins but you can't see the seals and bearings... My seals had issues.
My LMTV is a pleasure to drive. Even more so with the new gears... After the CUCV blazer this is the best military vehicle I have driven!!! Cruising the back roads is fun. The truck runs AWESOME... It seems to shift smother with these gears... it was a win win in my book
Those are $80.

He just gets $4920 for the install.

;)

Reworked LMTV

Crickets for a reason. Have not done mine yet. The dry run does not require them.
More important things were done like:
All silicone hoses replaced
Radiator flushed
Thermostat replaced
ALL fluids in engine, trans, diffs with synthetic
Driveshafts balanced
U Joints replaced
AC installed
All CTIS seals replaced
New tires
Block heater
Brake lines replaced
On and on......

Kbarnes0

At 60MPH mine is still in 6th gear, so it's basically at max RPM, just before the shift.
What speed do you cruise? Max rpm is what 2600?
Im wondering if I should still be considering gears after the larger tires.

Maybe just call it good enough? but I feel I'm still at the top of the rpm instead of closer to cruise at the max tourqe

spankybear

Crickets for a reason. Have not done mine yet. The dry run does not require them.
More important things were done like:
All silicone hoses replaced
Radiator flushed
Thermostat replaced
ALL fluids in engine, trans, diffs with synthetic
Driveshafts balanced

U Joints replaced
AC installed
All CTIS seals replaced
New tires
Block heater
Brake lines replaced
On and on......
Heck you where halfway to getting the gears replaced if you did the things in bold...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is this with or without axle ratio swap?
With 3.07:1 gears... the truck won't go over 58MPH stock, and certainly not in 6th gear.

What speed do you cruise? Max rpm is what 2600?
Im wondering if I should still be considering gears after the larger tires.

Maybe just call it good enough? but I feel I'm still at the top of the rpm instead of closer to cruise at the max tourqe
I typically cruise at 65MPH, low in RPM just after the shift to 7th.

Reworked LMTV

Heck you where halfway to getting the gears replaced if you did the things in bold...
On a 6x6 you have to get psyched up and prepared for the middle chunk swap. Need solid prep to prevent sudden death by chunk. Large trans jack needed or gantry. Locker will be placed in middle chunk. Have 2 lockers.

coachgeo

On a 6x6 you have to get psyched up and prepared for the middle chunk swap. Need solid prep to prevent sudden death by chunk. Large trans jack needed or gantry. Locker will be placed in middle chunk. Have 2 lockers.
there are tabs on the middle chunk that work ok for lifting it with a fork lift Ujoint up. So if the axle is out (or just rotated in place?) its not as hard to put in with a fork lift

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
You got them in yet?
No crickets here my friend lol...
Here's why they're not in there yet - lack of an indoor facility, that allows me to take my time doing the job.

But that's been addressed now.

If you do a little research on the mods I've done so far you might realize I'm not exactly afraid of tackling this job.

My comment was about the price gouging that goes on by sellers/flippers, never once did I comment on installation prices being gouged. The total cost just doesn't allow for me to pay Bryce.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks