• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hawkers AGMs back from the dead?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 4 Hawkers, about 4 years old, with 1.8 volts in each. They have been sitting like this for at least a year. Is there hope to bring them back? What type charger and what voltage/ amp rate?

jw4x4

By FAR, the best battery charger out there in the Noco genius. They are truly "Wicked Smart". I have the G4 and it is the best charger I have ever owned or used. They are not cheap, but in the long run will save big. Batteries are expensive, and I have to keep up with 10 or so.

Jeepsinker

I have a couple of the extreme brand desulfating chargers and they are pretty good at saving batteries. If you have four batteries discharged like that you may save one or two.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had two hawkers that were new in 2004. Nothing was done to them for 6 years. They also read 1.8 volts each. A month each on the battery minder from northern tool and they are still at work start the truck every time.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far out of the 8 hawkers I've had 7 good to go after some time (24 hours per) on a smart charger. Two of those were at .4V so it's possible to save them but they may be at reduced capacity to some extent. Here's some info off the manufacturer's site to charge them, I followed it. Don't go over 15V or you will cook them. Also here's the charger I used:

Schumacher SC-10030A SpeedCharge -

1-6. DEEP DISCHARGE RECOVERY PROCEDURE

1. If a battery is heavily discharged, usually due to a low current drain, it is said to be in a deeply
discharged state. This becomes apparent when the OCV is less than 10 volts.

2. Constant voltage charge, using a standard charger set at 14.25v +/-.25v. Restrict the
maximum available current to 5 amps, initially the battery may appear as if it is not accepting
charge, (this is due to the sulphation barrier that builds up within a deep discharged battery)
but after approximately 20 minutes the current should begin to flow. Doc Ref : 2602-0052 Rev 00
This is the safest method of recovery but can take 36 hours or more to fully recover the
battery.

3. Perform a Capacity test in accordance with para 1-7. A battery that provides less than 300
Minutes (100%) duration but in excess of 240 Minutes (80%) is still suitable for use and may
benefit from additional charging.

4. If the discharge duration is less than 240 Minutes, it may be assumed that the battery is unlikely
to be recovered and it should be rejected.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all, I suspected these batteries were a different animal from the wet 6TLMF's and the like.

dependable

I have brought back weak 6TAGM s with a Bosch C-7 charger. Fairly inexpensive and has settings for AGM (absorbed glass mat) as well as conventional batteries. Has a 24V setting too, which is nice.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a mil issue document detailing how to charge the Hawkers. It was posted a while back on a battery thread if you search for it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hawkers LOVE high amp charging. (unlike SLA batteries) Search for old posting on here about charging them. It has been covered before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks