• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hazardous paint problem

Madfarmersson

People of the SS,

Well I took my M1009 to my auto body guy to get a bid on painting
it about a week ago he was going to call me later that after noon,
I never heard from him til I called him yesterday afternoon.
He said that the CARC paint was to dangerous and did not want to do it.
The thing is he and his son who helps him, painted MV's in the military.

How bad is it?

He said he might think about doing it if he did not need to sand it.
Now I am not sure but I would think the military would not sand them.

Is it really necessary to sand it before painting?

There are other auto body guys around so I may see if some body else would do it. If not I may try painting it myself, It can't be to hard.

Madfarmersson.:|

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some info. Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC)

It's not that bad, but it does require some serious safety precautions, as do most automotive and industrial paints/coatings.

You should be able to find several threads on this topic by searching "carc danger", "carc saftey", "carc hazardous" etc...

flyxpl

you could always sand it and have him paint it . sanding is 80% of the work so I would want a very good price if he was just going to tape up and spray .

zout

read up on everyting you can on CARC.
Occupational and Environmental Exposures: CARC Paint - Office of Public Health and Environmental Hazards

another page for info:
http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/us/eng/products/categories/military_coatings/?paging=false

Not saying you cannot do it - but realize what you are dealing with and exposing others to as well.

There are professional painters here on SS and much more current knowledgeable than I - I deal with the stuff spaying but I have the equipment for it. Most any automotive paint that is an epoxy and deals with the hardners is kin to this stuff - but it has other attributes as well that make it deserve respect handling it.

Last edited:

Madfarmersson

Well I am not scared of the carc paint, I have thought of sanding it myself and let him
paint it but like you said it is 80% of the work and if I go that far I might as well do it all myself.
I have painted a couple of wagons and a old antique bicycle but that was with the AERVOE paint
and personaly I thought the quality of the paint was pretty poor, so I do know a bit on painting.
If I do, do it myself I will take all precautions.

Thanks for posting.
Madfarmersson.

emr

He is over reacting to misinformation, it is not more dangerous than other paints, the basic safety precautions that are taken during all painting are all that is needed with carc. there were extensive tests done after the first gulf war because of unknown illness's , all were found not to be related to carc, and the phampletes i have read on the studies confirm all of this, yes ! ALL ! painting and sanding is hazardous period, but the most important thing to remember is , the finer the dust the further into the lungs it goes, after that its all the same, as for the quality, what do people expect, I have to ask, its a flat paint mass produced for bulk orders at a low as possible bid, i mean really, is there something more to expect from it ? just sayin... :deadhorse:

jvrotter

I did my own truck and I am not that all experienced in painting. I did wear a good resperator and a painting overall. I just used a vibrating disk sander to take of the outer loose surface of the CARC, taped it off and used a Harbor Freight gun and...

Attachments