• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket maybe

bobbed_1971

My 1971 m35a2 has a small leak just noticed it.Its wet on the front of the engine where the head bolt is looks like coolant or oil cant tell tryed to smell it but hard to say.Its also kinda wet on the side of the block on the turbo side.Not low on coolant nor running hott.Is this normal for the duece or is it head gakset time.Motor was rebuilt in 86 I think cant remember only has 9500 miles on her.Anyways let me know what you think it could be.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are old style re torquing MIGHT help. New style, nope. The old gaskets don't have any sealing media, like a silicone strip or grommet around the oil and coolant passages and are a multi part gasket. New style gaskets are like FelPro gaskes for say a SB Chevy and have seals around the coolant and oil passages. They are not made to re torque.
If it runs smooth and has no white smoke, a compression test will tell you nuttin.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It isn't a compression test you are after, it's a leakdown test.

That will set off the fat lady!

oddshot

Did you try a taste test of the stuff coming out?

Just a drop on your finger ... put it on your tongue.

Antifreeze is sweet and not oily

Oil is ... well ... oily.

Diesel can throw a new guy ... the smell makes it sorta taste sweet ... but give it a moment and you'll see the difference.

NOW DON'T GO DRINKING IT!!! I said just a taste to find out what liquid your dealing with.

oddshot

bobbed_1971

Whats the torque spec and pattern to torque the bolts to.I checked the coolant today its full and the engine was cold to I think its oil but not sure.Guess ill have to give it a taste test lol

oddshot

It isn't a compression test you are after, it's a leakdown test.

Although I haven't done one on this type of engine ... I imagine you could also do a cooling system pressure check.

Pull the injectors.

Disable the in-tank fuel pump.

Take off the cap ... and with a radiator pressure pump ... bring up pressure in the cooling system to about 18 (or so) PSI

Then, with an assistant watching the injector holes ... while standing in FRONT
(NOT on the drive side) of the vehicle ... crank the engine.

If you have coolant leaking into a cylinder through the head gasket ... coolant will come shooting out of the damage cylinder.

It is at that moment ... if you have coolant leaking into a cylinder you will see why your assistant should NOT stand along the side of the vehicle.:shock:

Remember ... the compression in the cylinders of this engine is over 200 PSI .... which is a LOT more pressure then is in the cooling system. If you got a leak going one way ... compression should be leaking the OTHER way in a very dramatic fashion.

My guess however ... IF you only have a CLASS ONE leak ... which is just a little seepage to the outside ...

AND

you are NOT seeing higher engine temps

AND

you are NOT losing coolant ...

you PROBABLY don't have a problem.

I would just continue to use PROPER STARTING PROCEDURES when starting this vehicle ... (If you don't know the Proper way to start this engine, there are threads abut this on this on this forum ... do a search ... and follow the information there)

and keep your eyes open for bigger leaks or overheating.

oddshot

Maverick1701

Only two kinds of deuces those that need head gaskets and those that have had head gaskets.

I might need to do mine. I have a small amount of oil in my antifreeze (I think)....I took an oil sample from the side of the motor and nothing has separated out.
Not really sure...Im going to change the oil tomorrow and see what all comes out of the old girl

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
these engines are really sneaky about head gaskets. mine was leaking for 2 years before i could prove it. it would only blow coolant out during a long hill and never overheat. there is a chemical test that shows combustion in the cooling system, any repair shop should have it. the chemical turns from blue to yellow. but as has been stated, if you have the old style gaskets, sooner or later you will need to replace them. it is very easy to see if they are the old style as they will have a vent coming out from each cylinder fire ring.

tom