• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

head gasket now wont run right?

Kpswans

My m1008 was leaking coolant out of the passenger rear headgasket. I just got done installing a felpro headgasket with arp studs I torque specked all the bolts and replaced all the gaskets that came with the rebuild kit.

after some cranking she fired right up and was running rough. I moved the injector pump to 1/16 past 0 advanced when I was in there since it was retarted a lot for some reason (driver side). I also turned up my pump.
I went back put the timing marks how they were and turned the pump back down through the top this time since I had the manifold on.

I have cracked each injector line multiple times in hopes of removing air if that's the cause. one injector causes the truck to stall very quickly even when slightly cracked not sure if that's relevant but figure the more info I can provide the better. its also smokeing black witch it never did before.

this is my daily and only car any help is greatly appreciated thanks everyone

cucvrus

Did you send the head to a shop and get it checked for flatness and cracks? If not sorry to say you wasted a lot of parts and time. Not to mention money. I am being blunt and frank about it. You should NEVER just remove a head and replace the head gasket without checking the head for straightness and cracks. It cost $27. per head for cleaning and $40. per head for having it checked for cracks and straightness. I paid an additional $40. to have my head cut/planed for evenness on the mounting surface. Both my heads back from the shop cost me about $200. only 1 needed planed. And it was the one that the head gasket failed on. I ran it for 6-7 years with the failure only getting worse. that may have contributed to the head damage and the need for correction. But that is only speculation on my part. IMHO if the head comes off it gets sent to the machine shop. Without a doubt.

Kpswans

I have been driving the truck for the past 3 months with no issues and have put 3k miles on it. It ran very well other than the coolant leak 3 days ago.
If I had the time I would have loved to send the head out to be checked but unfortunately it wasn't an option. its my only car and I'm expected at work tomorrow

cucvrus

That is my guess. It started leaking for some reason. Please get it checked next time you have it off. You wasted a lot of time. And IMHO you should get them both removed and checked at a machine shop. I would never just replace one head gasket on one of these old guys. And I am at a lose as to why you are referring to it as the passenger rear head gasket. We are talking about the right head gasket in its entirety? Not the cover plate on the rear of the head?

Kpswans

I replaced both gaskets since they came as a set and I had the arp studs to install as well. I noticed that the head had been decked before and the gaskets were not factory my truck has 74k on the dash.

I'm really only concerned with my current situation. I have a canister style fuel filter. I also took out the check valve on the injector pump was told they can clog. Does this sound like an air issue or could it be something else?

cucvrus

At this point I would be guessing and taking pot shots. I do not want to get involved in making a diagnosis from afar. To many things have been disturbed/altered and site unseen/heard it is near impossible for me to assist in a diagnosis. I could be low compression /bad fuel nozzle/injection pump. Hard to tell without eyeballing it. Good Luck. I wish I could help. I do not want to stir the pot and lead you further on a wild goose chase.

Kpswans

After I turned my pump down seemed to be idling well went for a drive after 30 started to knock turned around and idleing in my driveway it got rough again so I feel like it's air but I'm not sure. Could a ground wire cause this?

cucvrus

I am not aware of any ground wire that would make your engine run poorly. And it is possible to install injection pump line incorrectly. But you would have to work hard to do it. Did you pull the entire injection pump(spider) assembly out of the valley with lines attached? And did you remove them a pair at a time as they are paired (bolted together) on the fuel feed harness. If you took them all off at once it is possible to install them incorrectly. I never done this but feel it could be done by a beginner. Did you feel any needed to be bent to install them? Hard questions to answer from my distance. Good Luck.

Kpswans

i took the lines off in pairs and i set them on my bench from left and right side the far left pass side gave me some trouble but the others went on with ease had to really pull on it and its sitting right on top of the valve cover but i dident sit there and change the overall shape/structure of the hard line.

cucvrus

Yea IDK. I never messed with turning up injection pumps and others do. I just put things together the way they were designed and have less problems that way. These things were designed and tested by people that are a lot smarter and more resourceful then me. So I do my best to reassemble and duplicate the original design when ever possible. More often then not you change and deviate away from the original design you are going to have problems else where. People turn up pumps for more power and they end up with more smoke and less efficiency. I leave well enough alone. But after reviewing your posts several times I see a multitude of errors that I would have done differently or not done at all if I were doing the job. It matters not at this point it is done and and in your case needs corrected. It seems that the problem may be fuel related. But the heads unchecked would be a concern on my end as well. Do as you wish and good luck. From what you are telling me I understand you removed the lines from the injection pump head. Are they all tight? I mean at the head connections in the valley? Double check. You will have to remove your intake to do this job correctly. Where you unable to get to work today. I am assuming that.

cucvrus

You are sure you put the push rods back in correctly? They have an upside and down side. And the rockers studs are torqued tight? Just asking to help. Knocking sounds like something else? Or the injection timing is wacked out and advanced. IDK. Sounds serious if you are not driving it. Good Luck.

Kpswans

I laid the rocker assembly out on my bench when i disassembled and installed everything right where it came from. The cucv book i had called for 40 Ftlbs is this correct? I also put my hand on the valve cover and i couldn't feel any clanking around in there but that thought ran through my head as well. seems to free rev fine but under load its dogish and wont go at all.

I installed a clear line going into the injection pump and can see air in it after I shut the truck off.
I also put a clear line on the return on the pass side to near the alt and no fuel is filling the line very litte if any I was told to blow the line out with air back into the tank to hear for bubbles I'm going to try that now

IMG_3490 (1).jpgIMG_3488.jpg

Last edited:

Kpswans

When I pull the rubber line off the return injectors should fuel be coming out? When I disconneted it while running fuel was flowing to the injectors not out of them

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks