• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket prep

Chaski

The nastiest paint remover you can get your hands on works well. I don't know what you can get locally, I have had decent luck with "Dad's" brand. Pull the heads, brush some paint remover on, sit, scrape repeat. I really don't like getting abrasives involved. A final good scrub with a rag will probably leave the block squeaky clean. If not scotch Brite is ok, just be sure to clean it well afterwards

cucvrus

You should take the heads and get them checked for cracks and flatness. Then you won't need to clean them with anything. The machine shop will clean them and check them all out. Other then that you are wasting your time putting on used heads with out getting them checked out first. It is worth the extra expense to not have to do the job twice. Pay now or pay later. Do it right the first time. I use the block sander and the scotchbrite gray pad. Don't go wild with the small 2" roloc discs. They make the block uneven. A very light once over you will be good. If you see sparks you are going wild. The heads? Well you know the story on them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks