• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gasket Replacement

HASSON1911

Hey thank you man you saved me there. I don't know why my TM doesn't have this in it i literally looked through every page in that book

HASSON1911

Yes we do have a socket that we found that will work. Does anybody have any the information on replacing these heads. Like valve clearance on the intake/exhaust. and any short cuts and tips or stuff we should watch out for, that would help us out when putting these heads back on. Or you know if any of you guys know a place where i could pick up a shop manual or a book about overhauling these engines. thanks

mckeeranger

Yes we do have a socket that we found that will work. Does anybody have any the information on replacing these heads. Like valve clearance on the intake/exhaust. and any short cuts and tips or stuff we should watch out for, that would help us out when putting these heads back on. Or you know if any of you guys know a place where i could pick up a shop manual or a book about overhauling these engines. thanks
You should be able to find everything you need to know in the TMs.

tm9-2815-210-34-2-1
tm9-2815-210-34-2-2

Last edited:

DieselBob

Would be a great time to replace the freeze plugs in the heads. Nothing worse than going through all the work and have one of those start leaking. 2cents

HASSON1911

Well, turns out the socket that my dad said would work doesn't.lol. does anyone know of a place where i can get this tool. Memphis Eqt. Also, we didn't completly tear it apart due to reason stated above, but has anyone ever had oil leaking from the heads without having a gasket blown. we're starting to think it may just be a couple loose head nuts due to the oil leaking out in very very small amounts.

mckeeranger

Well, turns out the socket that my dad said would work doesn't.lol. does anyone know of a place where i can get this tool. Memphis Eqt. Also, we didn't completly tear it apart due to reason stated above, but has anyone ever had oil leaking from the heads without having a gasket blown. we're starting to think it may just be a couple loose head nuts due to the oil leaking out in very very small amounts.
The fastest way to deal with the socket problem, is to make your own. See the pic below. Not my design, I copied it from someone else here. Just remember it changes the length of of your torque wrench, so you have to calculate the change, or keep the wrench at a 90 degree angle with the home made tool.

Ours has leaked oil from the head gaskets since we got it. It's a very common problem. It may just leak a little forever, or it could let loose like ours did. I replaced the head gaskets a year and a half ago, and it still seeps just a little. I know I did everything by the book, it's not my first rodeo, but it still seeps.

Edit: I added a pic of the one I copied because it's a better pic. Mine is on the printer.

Attachments

Last edited:

dabtl

When you replace the head gaskets, deck the heads and pressure test them. I changed the gaskets twice before I determined the head was cracked in the cylinder head ports, not at the deck.

No problems since. But, it will make you crazy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks