• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket thickness

Eli77

Hi. Bought a 6.5td from gov plant and it was missing the intake bridge I should have known better. But I still bought it and I guess some water went in and set there. short story we ended up removing the heads and cleaning the engine and it looks like this engine was rebuilt before by the mc based on the paper work that was attached. Now what we trying to find out is what thickness of gasket to use. Since there are so many I am assuming it is critical. Any idea what gasket thickness will be the safe way?
thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to see just what shape the cylinder walls are after you clean them. Is the engine frozen? Hopefully the rings are not frozen in place. Not sure if those cylinder walls are OK.

Mark

Eli77

You have to see just what shape the cylinder walls are after you clean them. Is the engine frozen? Hopefully the rings are not frozen in place. Not sure if those cylinder walls are OK.

Mark
I posted a picture of the engine cleand ! Not frozen everything looks ok

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh sorry didn't see that pic. No pitting on the walls? Damn she might be a runner.

Mark

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, there is only one standard thickness for the head gasket on these things. The military doesn't deck the heads or the block, if they are out of tolerance they get replaced. I'm not sure what the standard thickness is, but gaskets I used were the standard military ones from MacMotors.

87cr250r

0.040" is standard thickness. You need to measure your deck height to determine if the block has been decked. If so, you'll want to run the thicker gasket. It usually takes about 0.010" to clean up a deck.

I see you're looking at Cometic gaskets. They require a much smoother sealing surface and the factory finish doesn't meet this requirement. With that said, I have Cometic gaskets at 0.051" with 10 thou shaved off the deck. I haven't run it enough to give any reports on durability.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted a picture of the engine cleand ! Not frozen everything looks ok
Nice work!
Did the OEM gasket have a number??
If you are thinking of raising the boost .010 over may not be a bad idea.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work!
Did the OEM gasket have a number??
If you are thinking of raising the boost .010 over may not be a bad idea.
I just looked up the part number in the manual and ordered it from Mac. Unfortunately my rig and everything is still at the repair shop, so I don't have an easy way to check. The head gasket came as part of a full kit though. (I have no desire to boost my engine, with the three speed transmission boost just sounds like a great way to blow it up quicker.)

Eli77

0.040" is standard thickness. You need to measure your deck height to determine if the block has been decked. If so, you'll want to run the thicker gasket. It usually takes about 0.010" to clean up a deck.

I see you're looking at Cometic gaskets. They require a much smoother sealing surface and the factory finish doesn't meet this requirement. With that said, I have Cometic gaskets at 0.051" with 10 thou shaved off the deck. I haven't run it enough to give any reports on durability.
The cometic is the only one that fit, anything else that sell looks like it made for different heads. just attached them both that you can see the difference. That is another thing I didn’t expect, two different kind of gaskets🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found it, the part I put on my engine, search MacMotors for P/N 5714842.

It's listed as 6.5L TD, but it's the same head gasket for the 6.5L NA.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different manufacturers may have different shape gaskets, but they should all be compatible. Other then shape there is thickness of course. For the stock thickness gaskets, both of your pictures are probably fine, based on the block and heads only having one pattern.

87cr250r

Do know that if you go the Cometic route that there are in fact two different gaskets as they are different for left and right bank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks