• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket,what else to check?

andyindy

Well, I've joined the blown gasket club, one of the Frankfort trucks is leaking. I have the new style set and going to have the heads planed. My question is should the head studs be repaced with new ones? This engine is a continental, so its is an older one. I know some manufactures recommend this. Also, anything else to do or look at while the heads are off. This is the strongest running truck out of 4, and has a c turbo. Thanks in advance, Andy.........

baxter

I just finished doing my head gaskets (continental ) as well I didnt do the studs I felt they were fine.I would say know is a great time to do a block heater with the coolant out.just my2cents.

Vaughn

derby

I would check the pistons for cracks. your machine shop can check the heads for cracks. there is a way to measure the stretch of the stud for re-use or replacement, but i don't know it. is it just a seep or a full blown rupture?

andyindy

It was just seep. Pulled the heads today and taking to machine shop tomorrow. I was concerned w/ the studs losing thier elasticity. I have heard this is a problem w/ some engines, not necessarily multi's. I'll keep you posted. Andy......

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can these heads be planed? Reason I ask this is I know you can get into trouble on some diesel heads planing them because the piston comes so close to the top. I've never had the heads off of a multifuel so I don't know.

baxter

Yes they can, when I took mine to the machine shop the guy said he had alot of fun trying to find the specs on these heads he told me they took off .004" I am checking my valves tomorrow and I'll see how she runs.

Vaughn

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you could look and see if they have ever been taken down before. The TM call for no more than 10 to be taken off. It will be stamped some where along the base of the head where it meets the block. Check all four sids of each head for this number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks