• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gaskets in a hurry?

merlot566jka

So I need to do my headgaskets pretty quick. I am using the truck as a daily. So hoping to get it done in a day or weekend. There is hefty amounts of oil coming out of the front and rear of both heads.

So here are a few questions:

Can I leave both the intake and exhaust attached and lift both heads as a unit?

Can I re-install it the same way?

If do it this way, do I need to buy any other gaskets, other than the head gaskets of course?

Do the injectors have to be pulled out? If so, isnt there copper crush washers to replace?

So far, the plan is this:

Pull the heads as a unit, remove old gaskets, clean block and head with brake cleaner and scrapper. Install new gaskets, lower heads back on, retorque, re-connect and fill up fluids. Start and drive.

I was going to use "the right stuff" by mr. gasket for the valve covers.
I need to find the TM for setting the lash if its any different than any other engine.

Can I do it in a day or two? do I need any extra parts?

I know about the special wrench. I can weld, Ill make my own.
I know about the new style head gaskets, and will email M35Tom for the head gaskets.
Ive read about the freeze plugs.
I do not plan to resurface the heads.
I do not want to have to remove anything more than I absolutely need.
I would like to complete this with out any significant down time (corvette is down for the winter... and I dont have any other transportation at the moment)

Thanks for any advice, tips or pointers!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you thought about just re-torqueing them?(first)

I heard you cannot get the heads seated properly if you leave the manifolds attached to them.

shenkmen

From what I've seen on SS I would try re-torquing first.

From what I know if I had the heads off I would make sure they do not need to be resurfaced.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can I leave both the intake and exhaust attached and lift both heads as a unit?
Yes. In fact, there exists a military spreader bar that goes between the lift plates on the front and rear head, but you will need an engine hoist to do it and enjoy getting the rear head to clear the firewall lip.

Can I re-install it the same way?
Yes, but after putting the assy. on, you'd need to loosen the manifolds so the heads can be torqued individually.

If do it this way, do I need to buy any other gaskets, other than the head gaskets of course?
Re-use manifold gaskets at your own risk.

Do the injectors have to be pulled out? If so, isnt there copper crush washers to replace?
I think I pulled mine but I re-used the orange rubber (neoprene?) washers.

I was going to use "the right stuff" by mr. gasket for the valve covers.
I need to find the TM for setting the lash if its any different than any other engine.
It's in the TM, multiple threads here and on the engine data plate.

Can I do it in a day or two? do I need any extra parts?
I am slow but I could do it in 2 days.

I do not plan to resurface the heads.
Better make sure they are perfectly flat and have a good sealing surface or this is all for naught.

I do not want to have to remove anything more than I absolutely need.
I would like to complete this with out any significant down time (corvette is down for the winter... and I dont have any other transportation at the moment)

Thanks for any advice, tips or pointers!
Have a backup plan-what will you do if you pull a head off and find a cracked piston (it happens)? A head stud breaks, a manifold stud strips, etc.

ctmustang

we did head gaskets on a friends deuce one sat and left the heads and manifolds together and didnt loosen the manifolds. We used an engine hoist to R+R clean everything check heads and blocks with a strait edge and reassembled.He drove a few times then retorqued heads and been driving for a few years now with no problems. Not that this will work for everyone but worked for us in a time crunch since he lives 3 hours away and I only had 1 day to do the job.
CT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks