• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head lights not working

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The two wires from the headlight buckets go directly to the dimmer switch, then a single wire goes to the light switch (within a harness). See if you are getting voltage going into the dimmer switch.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headlight switches go bad.

I assume you have the 3 lever switch and not the push button?

Have you tested power OUT of the switch? If you have power IN to the switch, but no power OUT, you found your problem.

weirdman

Eureka!!

Apparently the problem was in the foot dimmer switch. After taking it out and checking for ground, we cleaned the attachment area in the cab and undercarriage, removed wiring and cleaned, replaced everything, reattached....low and behold 24v at the headlight buckets.

Such an easy fix with all of your advice. Sorry if I confused anyone, not good at what Dad calls "nomenclature"

Thank you all for your help on a frustrating issue!!

Please stand by for beginner questions?!?

fasttruck

From the sound of it, when the service drive function ( 2 clicks to the right of "off") is lit, the lights on the back of the truck and the dashboard work. Nothing on the front in either high nor low beam ? Parking lights in front will remain off unless "park" setting on lower left lever is set. The problem is either in the dimmer switch itself or the power lead from the master light switch to the dimmer switch. This is circuit 16 in the diagram in post 3. Instrumentation to resolve this should not surpass the capabilities of a volt meter or a test light.

fasttruck

From the sound of it, when the service drive function ( 2 clicks to the right of "off") is lit, the lights on the back of the truck and the dashboard work. Nothing on the front in either high nor low beam ? Parking lights in front will remain off unless "park" setting on lower left lever is set. The problem is either in the dimmer switch itself or the power lead from the master light switch to the dimmer switch. This is circuit 16 in the diagram in post 3. Instrumentation to resolve this should not surpass the capabilities of a volt meter or a test light.
Most often, as noted in previous post, these lighting and electrical gremlins in older vehicles frequently involve bad grounds. Or you can be the Army and put a boatload of FMTVs on the broad ocean for a month going to Iraq and find out most of the electronics are fubar from salt air corroded grounds.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eureka!!

Apparently the problem was in the foot dimmer switch. After taking it out and checking for ground, we cleaned the attachment area in the cab and undercarriage, removed wiring and cleaned, replaced everything, reattached....low and behold 24v at the headlight buckets.

Such an easy fix with all of your advice. Sorry if I confused anyone, not good at what Dad calls "nomenclature"

Thank you all for your help on a frustrating issue!!

Please stand by for beginner questions?!?

Good job bud! This is a small lesson on troubleshooting. I always go "E" to "H".... easy to hard. 😁 Checking the dimmer switch would have been one of my first steps, but I've been doing this a bit longer, so...

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will gladly answer to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure the other members here will be glad to chime in too!

Don't be discouraged that you went through all of the steps you did. If nothing else, you are now intimately familiar with the lighting wiring of your truck!

Great job, stay grounded and keep the positive (see what I did there?) attitude!

fasttruck

All Army vehicles that have the same circuit, like the light switch to dimmer switch feed # 16 will muse the same circuit number to identify it. As then only difference in the lighting circuits on the common MVs raging from 1/4t to 10t is the length of the wires dictated by then length of the frame, then logic and skills needed to fix one will work for all. Needless to say check the circuit diagrams in the applicable -20 manual for guidance on any circuits unique to that vehicle like work lights on a wrecker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks