• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Removal

fhu667

I've been removing, or attempting to remove, my heads. The nuts on the driver side are the ones in question that are the hardest to get to. I am using the wrench that is known for breaking, and I've been able to remove five of the six nuts. The one closest to the radiator is the one giving me trouble. First issue is that I cannot get that wrench in there to get the nut all the way off. I'm going to say that there is a water jacket in the way. The second issue is that the bolt is loosening instead of the nut.

How is everyone getting this nut out? Am I going to have to make some sort of wrench?

Am I going to have a clearance issue since the stud is backing out instead of the nut loosening?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, just lift up and the head will come off. It WILL be interesting to get the nut off the bolt though. Might have to double nut the stud from the bottom once its off.

zanther

it seems daunting but I also took my front grill, radiator and fan off. Probably an extra 30 minutes of work total. It was nice to get some extra room to work in the front of the engine bay. You could probably remove that water jacket while leaving the radiator in place but it definitely made it easier for me.

zanther

fhu667

I'm more out of shape than I thought I was. Torquing these heads is wearing me out.

fhu667

In the tm when adjusting the valve lash it refers to a locknut. I'm used to seeing nylon lock nuts, but these are just regular nuts. Should these be the nylon locknut I'm used to seeing, or is it just a regular nut that tightens against the valve train?

They are all backed off the valve train. I know they can't stay that way.

fhu667

Also..... When I was putting in the valve train bolts I dropped a washer. It didn't go into the motor, but I can't find it. Where can I buy one of these?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the tm when adjusting the valve lash it refers to a locknut. I'm used to seeing nylon lock nuts, but these are just regular nuts. Should these be the nylon locknut I'm used to seeing, or is it just a regular nut that tightens against the valve train?

They are all backed off the valve train. I know they can't stay that way.

Nylon locknuts do handle heat very well , those have a slight deform at the top to lock them . There are several types of locknuts.
Read the description in this link .
https://www.fastenal.com/products/d...072 Nuts"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600081 Lock Nuts"|~

fhu667

Nylon locknuts do handle heat very well , those have a slight deform at the top to lock them . There are several types of locknuts.
Read the description in this link .
https://www.fastenal.com/products/d...072 Nuts"|~ ~|categoryl3:"600081 Lock Nuts"|~

I used a nut very similar to that on the wheel adapters I bought, but they were a tad bit bigger . These nuts spin freely. I'm not sure if that's the way they are supposed to be or not.

rustystud

Good to know. Thank you. It looks like mine may not have been tightened enough and had started to back off.
When I was still an apprentice I had to do the valve adjustments on a ton of trucks as it is considered "scut" work in shops. There where times I came across a jam nut that was tightened so much I almost bent the rocker trying to get it loose ! Then years later at the transit agency you have to do valve adjustments after replacing the injectors on the Cummins M11 as the whole rocker section comes off to get to them. So I'm kneeling over these engines setting the lash and sure as the sun shines there is always one that some knucklehead tightens so hard that you need a 1/2" breaker bar to get them loose !

fhu667

I dropped a washer for the bolt that attaches the valve train. I looked for a couple of hours,but it's no where to be found. Can I just go down to tractor supply and get another one this size,or is there something special about this one? If all I can find is a zinc plated one at home depot is that acceptable? Will Fastenall have something like this?
IMG_0946.jpg

sandcobra164

Looks like a regular lockwasher to me. In the TM's they say to replace them anytime you remove one. I have one friend who does this as well but to be fair, he worked for Fastenal at the time and the employee discount was good.