• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

head sets in a deuce

jwright

Look up popacom (BillKagin III (859) 808-0836) here on the site, Thats who I got my set up from. I think I paid $400 for everthing and that was shipping also, but that was almost 2 years ago

oldMan99

I have a VIC 1 in mine as well. 2 stations in the cab, one in the bed.

Steve Hanley out of TX is a great guy to work with getting a VIC. He sends you all the parts to it from one end to the other and bench tests the whole thing before he ships it. I have had nothing but good luck with him.

tc0654@mesh.net is his business e-mail.
As a result of the above post, I contacted Steve. I wanted a lot from the system (Intercom with VOX, music, multiple 2 way radios, and more) I asked him several questions. It was 3 or 4 emails between he and I, honestly, so many questions it was almost question abuse, but again, I have/had a very specif set of requirements that I was/am trying to meet.

Steve was extremely patient and answered each question completely and gave understandable answers/explanations.

Due to some of the requirements I have I'm not sure the VIC-1 or VIC-4 is right for me. I plan to look at the equipment available for general aviation and see if one of those systems may be better suited for my needs. However, if I do decide that the VIC system will work, after my experience with Steve, you can bet that he will get my business.

I am not sure if he does this professionally or as a hobby but he really seems to know these systems quite well.

As for pricing, I asked about a 3 station 3 headset system. All together, all pieces and parts, boxes, cords, headsets, blah, blah... tested as a unit to insure complete compatibility/functionality was right around $325. That seems like a completely reasonable price to me. Especially for a complete tested 3 station system that only needs to be installed.

I guess I should say that I am not related to Steve in any way. In fact until I saw his info in this thread I had never heard of him, nor had he heard or me. Just thought that he provided such a good experience during the question/answer session that he deserved a nice mention.

Hope this helps. Happy intercomming!

Hosstronaut

OldMan have you heard of the ScalaRider Q2? its a bluetooth headset i use on my motorcycle. able to connect to up to 3 (maybe 4, sorry don"t remember) and all can talk at once, not like the old standard one at a time walkie-talkie's.

In addition it has FM, and can connect with a bluetooth GPS/phone and has an audio input for mp3. it too has limitations. for instance you would need to wear some other form of helmet. the system is designed to fit inside a motorcycle helmet but would also work with many military styles. and it doesnt come with over the ear muffs but the speakers would easily fit inside a pair.

from what i have heard you request you may want to look into some of the intercom setups used for motorcycles. the 2 wheel industry has been dealing with road noise and hands free problems for a while. I hope this helps

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Steve Haney is good, Poppacom (spelling) is also, TBanks is also.

As for 3 boxes, think outside the box. Get 4 station boxes and put the forth either in the bed or under the bed in the back passengerside corner. Also get one of the bail out cords for the passenger set. This enables you to do voice commo when backing up (especially at night) and when hooking up trailers. It's a safety thing. Have I done it, not yet. I'm still waiting to clean up, paint, and replace the bed of my truck so got the stuff, just not done.

Jimma

I have a set in my truck. They came out of a Cessna. I got the whole setup on ebay for $35 (two headsets and the intercom box). I think its cool. Makes talking much easier, especially at highway speeds.

PsycoBob

For LEO's or busybodies that think Peltor/mil hearing-protection headsets are illegal, make sure you have a warning sticker on the driver's door about hazardous noise levels... and a whistler turbo. :) 1200rpm idle during a 'headset' argument FTW. :driver:

Dodge man

Hey what exactly do you mean no tags? Does that mean you dont have them at all?

Almost! If it's registered as a former military vehicle in Florida you have to have tags but you don't have to display them. In other words just keep them in your glove box to show if they pull you over.

QUOTE:
(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

Full Text: <http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-vehicles/320.086.html>

BUT if you register your vehicle this way, you're only allowed to drive it to and from exhibitions, etc!!! According to the law, you can't even drive it to get it worked on or to buy fuel! This same, asinine, restrictions also applies to Antique and Horseless Carriage tags. To me this is a non-starter so I'm registering mine with YOM tags that carry NO restrictions!