• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headed to Eglin

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in West Palm if you need anything! Sorry to hear about the troubles. Don't be too quick to blame the father unit. The rear mains are suspect to failure on these. You could try to remove the lower cover and spray a few cans of brakleen in the bell to see if it helps. I have a clutch alignment tool you can borrow if you have to do the clutch.

k4vem4n

I'll have to pull the tranny and inspect everything when it gets delivered. I'll bet its burned up after 200 miles oil or no oil...that sucker musta been HOT!!!
With the fording plug in, where did your dad find to put the lube in?
there is 3/8" plug way high on the housing in the front almost easier to access from the engine compartment......to think that if he filled it all the way aua...I think its higher than the shaft, even if it needed oil, it would be so overfilled...
It is possble that the tranny was suppling the fluids thru the input shaft.
no he confessed to it, and said "why would it have a plug if it wasn't supposed to have oil?"

I see his logic, and am not mad at him, just bad luck is all, very frustrating.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is 3/8" plug way high on the housing in the front almost easier to access from the engine compartment......................no he confessed to it, and said "why would it have a plug if it wasn't supposed to have oil?"

I see his logic, and am not mad at him, just bad luck is all, very frustrating.
Never seen or looked for that plug. Learn something everyday.

At least he confessed so you know for sure what happened.

The tranny removal isn't that bad. It takes me longer to remove all the bolts for the sheet metal that it does to drop the tranny. Many posts with pictures are on the site.

k4vem4n

I think my freighter bailed... called and they're giving me the run around, say they can't find a driver with a lowboy that has a winch. NOW WHAT?!?
I'm calling EVERYONE, and its not looking good.
I work in the shipping Industry, on the ocean freighters. At the port I hear drivers complaining about not enough work all the time. For being so needy they sure are picky....
Anybody know a services that might be able to help, I've been on the phone all day looking for alternate solutions, even maybe a nearby shop that might be able to repair it. (just gonna have to explain the oil filled flywheel housing :oops:)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What city or near what city is it at? Many have had success with U-Ship. Location of where it's at will help a bunch. What port do you work at? I work at a S FL port but not in the shipping industry.

123mack

What's the nearest large city? There should be a heavy wrecker company with a landoll, thats what I had haul my M816 out of Redstone.

3dAngus

Reminds me of my son, at 16, when he drained the transmission fluid, and filled the oil with more oil.
Got home from the farm and said, "Dad, there a funny smell to my truck."

FM5332FF

There are many guys on this page also that could give a hand, Some have tow bars that could tow the truck back to your place, If you get it down further south and have any problems you could leave it at my place in labelle about 2 hours north of you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 miles east of Eglin would get him fairly close to Live Oak or like 20 minutes west of I75.

k4vem4n

What city or near what city is it at? Many have had success with U-Ship. Location of where it's at will help a bunch. What port do you work at? I work at a S FL port but not in the shipping industry.
I'm broke down in Grand Ridge, FL about 50 miles west of Tallahasee. I'll checkout U-Ship. I work in both ports Port Everglades and Port of Miami. I am a longshoreman/clerk with the union ILA1922

What's the nearest large city? There should be a heavy wrecker company with a landoll, thats what I had haul my M816 out of Redstone.
Nearest city is Tallahassee, I've tried every number I could find, either they don't have the equipment or can't find a driver with rtg w/ winch, or one place wanted to charge over 1000 to move it 50 miles to Tallahassee to a shop, I told him he's crazy! I think the biggest issue is that there is no clutch so they need extra equipment to load it, most OTR drivers dont carry the winches because of the weight.

Tow-bar question, would that be duece by a deuce. Or what can you tow it with, I've never towed anything that big I'm sure brakes would be a concern for the towing vehicle.
I'd be at a loss of words if someone here helped me tow it home, time and services reimbursed of course. Any offers would be gratefully appreciated.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the process of putting my semi truck back together. Was just out putting the fan clutch back together and hope to have it up and on the road this weekend. If you can find a place to stash it for a week or two I should be able to give you a hand. I have a pintle hitch on the back but do not have a tow bar. I also have a drop deck trailer (no winch though) but I need to replace a tire or two and won't have it ready for a couple of weeks. I'm going to PM you my cell phone number in a minute if you want to call and talk to me.

Ruppster

k4vem4n

I'm thinking of having a local wrecker move it to marianna, in the morning, to a storage facility with an outdoor location for trucks rvs and boats. that'll give me about a month to figure it all out. I just hope i can organize all that over the phone. Probably my best option without getting robbed during an emergency.
Ruppster. If that's the case I'll take you up on your offer, that'd be great, I'll keep my status posted.

k4vem4n

ok so I had it towed to a local wrecking yard this morning, and stored for a reasonable rate of $15/day. That gives me time to figure stuff out.
Would someone be able to help me get it from (Grand Ridge) to maybe Gainesville? (about 200 miles)

I have some friends there and a member has offered to help me repair it there. That seems to be my best bet, and cost efficient, I just need to find a clutch...what size am I looking for? I guess I should go through fleetpride? any suggestions?

renovate7

K4vem4n I sent you a PM with Travis in Gainsville's contact info. He can pick up your truck, fix the clutch, and bring it to you.

k4vem4n

I have PM'd Travis last night, he said he would help me fix the clutch, but he is no longer hauling. So the dilemma remains, haul/tow.
I appreciate the input keep 'em comin'

Last edited:

k4vem4n

Ok, here's my update.
I found out that a friend that I work with has a brother-in-law that lives only 10 miles from where I broke down :p (what luck!!!)
He kindly allowed me to move my truck to his property until I can fix it.
I will be headed up to try and fix it myself this weekend. Going to try and flush out the bell housing with some purple power degreaser, and see if the clutch will give me Anything.
If it is shot, thanks to many useful write-ups on this site, I will attempt a clutch swap.
I have a new clutch and a full transmission gasket kit including rear main seal. I just hope that I didn't overheat anything damaging the flywheel or pressure plate. Anything is possible, but I have gathered those would be least likely. So I won't fork out the cash on those unless i am for sure.

Well leaving tonight, Wish me luck!!!