• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

headlight/BO switch

Somemedic

The 3way switch is new to me as is my deuce. The blazer doesnt use the silly thing which is unfortunate cuz it would make things a lot easier for me to run a quick test. The following is from my post in THE DEUCE section of the board (sorry fellas, never noticed we had an electrical section):

The BO switch that controls the lights wont let the headlights come on. They come on for a second and then I hear a metallic klink inside the switch and ALL lights shut off momentarily. After a bit they come on IF I return the headlight switch into the stop/park lites position. The light lock didnt work when I picked it up at shelby and I notcied the other day when the headlights were on the front parking lights wouldnt light up, only when the signal switch was activated, which it doesnt seem to want to blink anymore, just stay on.

The headlights did work today, before the rain started. Replace the BO switch since it cant be taken apart and cleaned?

while other styles of switches may be able to be taken apart I dont see how this switch comes apart. It appears to be sealed. I caan say that I had left the lights on in a parking lot and went into Harbor Frieght. When I came out I might have had the parking lights on and started the truck. Bjorn says that starting the truck can make some pretty nasty things happen to electrical equipment when the starter is engaged so Im guessing a 39yo circuit breaker may hav taken a hit (when switching over to activated the headlights the voltmeter bottoms out and then the circuit breaker trips). I will procure myself another switch when I get a chance but cant rule out a short in the wiring yet, lots of dry rotted rubber. Im not too familiar with the workings of a voltmeter but aint afraid to try it. My first guess is to turn the truck lights on and try unpluging one light at a time and determine if its a particular light or wire connection.

And of course Im open to your suggestions. Maybe put a for sale sign on it....

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the same issue. I replaced the 3 way switch and now no problems. I'm sure a couple members here have about 30 or forty laying around.....

Somemedic

The Switch was fine. On closer inspection the wiring is GAWD AWFUL... touch any wiring and it starts crumbling. Some motorpool electrician decided to wire some sort of 'Y' splice into the rear tail light housing and it had rubbed thru the insulation. pulled the splice out and directly connected the the tail light to the main pigtail and (angels singing) the headlights came on.

Directionals and brake lights are next...

steelandcanvas

Somemedic, Sounds as though you are on the road to sucessful troubleshooting! But as Gimp sugeested, you still may have some grounds not doing their job. I don't think you could go wrong by checking all of them. Just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks