• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

headlight issue

iasc399ia

I was driving home tonight and my headlights started flickering on and off by themselves. It also did it with brights on. The interior lights stayed lite and didn't flicker and the battery gauge stayed in the green and didn't move. These are brand new headlights not even 2 weeks old. I stopped and checked to make sure the plugs on the back of the headlights were secure and they were and I also checked to make sure my blackout light switch wasn't loose, which it wasn't. It drove fine with no other issues to report.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks ahead of time!

iasc399ia

I also tracked the wiring from the headlights and there was no short or grounding issue I could find once I got home.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read the headlight circuit thread in the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky?

More than likely it is the headlight fuse.

cucvrus

Check that 30 amp fuse out real close. I am sure that you will find that it has been getting hot from poor contact with the fuse box. It is a common problem on these units. Easy fix but a common problem. Good Luck.

MarcusOReallyus

The fuse itself may be fine, but the contacts might not be. Also check the back of the fuse box. When those fuses get hot, they can start melting things and make a mess of your fuse box. There's too much load on that one circuit.

Skinny

I would say yes and no. The LMC will take much load off the headlight circuit since now all it does is activate a relay. If corrosion or weak connections exist in the stock circuit, it may be enough of a problem to cause headlight failure but not enough to turn off the LMC relay setup.

cucvrus

No need to go thru with adding the new harness. Just cut out the wire from the buss bar on the rear of the fuse panel and put 2 in line sealed fuses in place. I have trucks that have been repaired this way for 20 years and never replaced a fuse again or had any light issues. Do what you want its your truck. I always try the inexpensive route. And it keeps the Chinese made LMC harness off my US made CUCV. That is my opinion only. Just for consideration.

iasc399ia

Not sure what the issue was last night. Went out this am and they worked with no issues. I will drive around a little after dark tonight to see if it does it again.

cucvrus

The fuse itself may be fine, but the contacts might not be. Also check the back of the fuse box. When those fuses get hot, they can start melting things and make a mess of your fuse box. There's too much load on that one circuit.
Sir check out what Marcus is telling you. The fuse will appear fine. It may not be tight in the fuse box connections. That is what is creating the issue you are describing. Good Luck and it is a common issue with these vehicles. easy fix.

Westech

CPL
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422468300.113397.jpg
This is what I did to fi my headlight issue. I cut the diodes out of the horn circuit and took apart the fuse block and cut the power wire and feed wires for the headlights. Then put In a 30 amp breaker. No problems anymore. Took about 10 min start to finish.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the issue of headlights going out, bought new bulbs then found it was the connection at the headlight itself. A little dielectric grease on the prongs and put the new headlights in the box on shelf.

forest522

Top Gun and Bob have great points. My '09 had several gremlins early on after I acquired it. I spent hours, HOURS, pouring through this forum looking for and getting lots of great advice. In the end, though, and I think it was Doghead, the best advice was to carefully and slowly go through the diagrams and clean, replace, grease and re-fit much of the original wiring harness.

It is probably something silly, but a thorough cleaning of grounds and getting to know your rig's wiring was some of the best advice I ever received. Cheers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks