• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight location

gusto1

I have noticed on sevral different 2 1/2 tons some headlight are mounted high in the grill while others are mounted low in the grill. Does anyone know why?

rgregj

I think it has to do with the model year. My '66 had low mounted lights. I belive they changed them to the high mounted a couple of years later.

Greg

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen a winch truck with low mounted headlights.

tmbrwolf

The high mounted were used early only on the winch equipped trucks, the early non winch equipped had lower mounted headlamps, later all trucks had the high mounted lights. My guess somebody got smart and figured out they really didn't need 4 different parts!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The high mounted were used early only on the winch equipped trucks, the early non winch equipped had lower mounted headlamps, later all trucks had the high mounted lights. My guess somebody got smart and figured out they really didn't need 4 different parts!
I don't think it's four different parts. I just turned mine upside down and it worked fine. Same part, just depends on how it's mounted.

kurtkds

I have seen some trucks that the headlight bracket couldn't be flipped for height adjustment. Those were in the high position, probably a cost and tooling savings.

When I flipped mine I had to use the second set of holes in the front clip and If I remember correctly I had to do that because of a brace inside the engine compartment that would hit the headlight bucket.

Barrman

The kind that could be flipped had 6 studs with rubber in the middle holding them on. Kind of like the way a motor mount works. The newer kind that can't be flipped are bolted directly to the fenders. Unless you are doing a restoration, go with the newer bolt on style. Head light change is a 3 screw operation compared to a 6 screw deal, the wires are easier to hook up as well. Plus, out of the 36 mounting studs I started with. I have 14 which are still together. 12 of which are on the Gasser doing their job.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since I had the kind that could be flipped and wanted them flipped, that's what I went with. Most of the rubber mounts were trashed so I did just like the motorpool did before me - a bolt and some hose. Worked for them and it worked for me.

KaiserM109

I think it has to do with the model year. My '66 had low mounted lights. I belive they changed them to the high mounted a couple of years later.
My ’66 has high mount lights and never had a winch.

The kind that could be flipped had 6 studs with rubber in the middle holding them on. Kind of like the way a motor mount works. …
I need 5 of those rubbger-in-the-middle studs. My right light kinda flops around.

Arlyn

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My ’66 has high mount lights and never had a winch.

I need 5 of those rubbger-in-the-middle studs. My right light kinda flops around.

Arlyn
Maybe someone flipped the lights before you got it? To fix the floppy headlight, cut some rubber fuel line to the same length as the old rubber stud mount and just run a bolt through and put a nut on it.

KaiserM109

Maybe someone flipped the lights before you got it? To fix the floppy headlight, cut some rubber fuel line to the same length as the old rubber stud mount and just run a bolt through and put a nut on it.
Sounds workable to me. I'm trying to make it reliable and functional, not original

I doubt if this one was ever flipped, but there is one thing that indicates something is in the wind, it has both an electric horn ("motorpool horn") and air horns. None of them work, but they are there.

Arlyn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks