• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight switch: What the. . . ?

idM1028

I had been having this problem for a week or so. Sometimes when driving with the headlights on, I wouldn't be able to see my gauges due to the gauge light not working (or so I thought.) While I hadn't really troubleshooted the problem, I was still running through my head what it could be: Bulbs going bad? A so-so connection somewhere? Tonight while driving: The headlight switch? Well, I replaced it earlier this year. Yeah, with some Chinese-made, BWD junk. Maybe the contacts are bad. Let's give it a jiggle and see what happens. . . What the...? This thing turns?! It sure did. All the way counterclockwise to the left and a nice, bright gauge panel! What a pleasant surprise. I've been tinkering and working on this truck for close to a year (and thinking I knew it inside, outside, and upside down in my sleep) Just goes to show ya, sometimes you never know...

JSF01

Thats one of those things I never thought any one would not know about. Of course my first car used the same type of headlight switch so when I got my truck I knew exactly what it did. Of course i think I knew it turned on my first car is because either the first time I went to turn on my headlight i believe i just twisted it instead of pulling the switch or my uncle told me. So I could have very well ended up in the same situation when I got my truck had I not had that car.

Anubis8472

I always get a kick out of watching the younger ones try to operate an 'old school' hazzard switch, or a floor mounted high-beam, never mind a manual choke.

What's this knob do?
That's your floor vent.
Vent for what?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The operation of the headlight, parking light and dash panel dimmer switch in a CUCV is pretty much the standard control switch used for about 40 years(ending around 1987). It also turns on your interior light(under the dash, in the center), just turn it all the way until it "clicks"". I haven't looked lately, but I would guess this info is in the -10 TM(aka, basic operators manual).

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to look, and sure enough, the -10 has it! (pictured and numbered)

Light Switch.
A pullout knob that turns on service lights, blackout markers, and blackout
drive light when switches (22) and (24) are in appropriate positions. It also controls
brightness of instrument panel lights. Brightness can be changed by turning knob

clockwise or counterclockwise

I guess the younger generations are too used to "plug and play" to read or simply browse through the instructions, these days.

ratat98

Haha this is like when I first got my deuce... There were quite a few posts on here that said something about parking lights and I had no clue that there were parking lights on the deuce... Finally one day I went and looked and sure enough theres a switch for parking lights! They get used quite often now!

BA232

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's funny, I'm of an age to know how that one works. I see it on the other end when teaching people the use of modern technology.

Goose2448

Man, would have thought that one was common knowledge. Of course I'm one of those "**** kids" that are not sucked into whats new and hot. I was gonna say though when first reading this, maybe your tag lights are our, or a parking light more likely. I had that happen, cut all my dash lights and turned ON my interior lights in my Civy 85 C20

idM1028

Yeah, I'm one of those young dang whipper-snappers. :oops: Honestly, I don't think I've ever been behind the wheel of something that DIDN'T have a separate dimmer switch. Even my first car (a '90 Cavalier-not much newer than my truck, an '86) had a separate switch. I kinda like it though. My last truck had a back lit gauge panel ALL the time. I hated it. I'm used to the back light turning on when I turn the headlights on. I think it just makes sense. "Well, can't see the gauges anymore, guess its time to turn the headlights on. . ."

HASSON1911

I always get a kick out of watching the younger ones try to operate an 'old school' hazzard switch, or a floor mounted high-beam, never mind a manual choke.

Ya know I always loved those high-low beam switch on the floor I don't know why we ever went away from them.

Anubis8472

Ya know I always loved those high-low beam switch on the floor I don't know why we ever went away from them.
I was actually just thinking about mod'ing one in.
I remember a friends kid asking me once how I was turning on/off the high beams without touching anything. For a few miles I had him thinking the car had an automatic high beam sensor.

I can't figure why they went to the overloaded 'turn signal/wiper/washer/mist/high beam/can we put anything else on this stick' setup, except for ease of assembly. It is certainly not helpful when you hit a pot-hole while activating your turn signal, and simultaneously flash your lights and turn on the wipers. It just makes you look like a goofball.

jimm1009

If this is a CUCV then Borg-Warner and AC Delco still have the switch.
The bulbs are the same p/n as the front and rear side marker lights and due to thier poor design they get dirty and many of them burn out then.
If you remove the dashboard cover and get in there and change out all the bulbs it will help a lot but even new trucks did not have the same quality illumination that they do today.
One of my CUCVs was so bad that I replaced the sockets with a different design and then installed a slightly brighter bulb and loved it.

Slightly off topic; You can very easily add a second below dash light to the right side of the truck to have much better floor board illumination at night if and when you need it. Just obtain a 2nd light like the first one and splice it in to the same wiring. The same function as turning the dome light on which you don't have from the factory but the switch is made for it.

jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks