• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

headlights high beam

chevy79k5

ok peolpe. heres what i got. 86 m1009. headlight work fin on low beam but when i hit them to go to high beam the passenger side goes out and just the driver side will go to high. so im just looking for any ideas of what may cause this or where i should start looking for fix the problem.

SPCWarning

On mine I found a bad connection. The wires on most of these are corroded. (Mine spent most of its life if not all of it in the humid southeast U.S.) It would work sometimes on high, then go out. Hit a bump and it would come on. I cleaned the terminals where the bulb plugs in and it took care of it. My bulb was good, just a bad connection.

K9Vic

On mine I found a bad connection. The wires on most of these are corroded. (Mine spent most of its life if not all of it in the humid southeast U.S.) It would work sometimes on high, then go out. Hit a bump and it would come on. I cleaned the terminals where the bulb plugs in and it took care of it. My bulb was good, just a bad connection.
:ditto:

I had to replace the plugs on these before many times and pretty much just do it now as a normal maintenance repair on any CUCV I buy. They as said above go bad and really best way is to just replace them. I get the replacements from the auto parts store and solder the wires with shrink wrap. Plus it gives the wires a longer length to make it easier to change out in the future.

mistaken1

wow thanks for nothing ........ that was the first thing i did.
There is a post on here where a member just discovered by accident that that the light switch knob turns to adjust the dash light brightness so since you did not state that you had already replaced the lamp it sounded like a reasonable suggestion to me.

When coming to the forum with a problem it is always a good idea to list the steps one has taken to resolve the issue already, that will let people here know what has been tried and more importantly what has not been tried.