• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heads Warped!

IROCMARK

Ok I have read a ton of posts on head gasket changes and found tm saying that .005" is the most allowable to be removed on the heads for the ldt-465-1d.My problem is that my heads are warped about .006"so will need ether that or .007" to be true again. Is the tm saying this for not re-seating the valves. If i had the valves seated by whatever thickness is removed would this be acceptable or am I in a world of hurt by needing both heads replaced?It just seems a shame that the engine only has 400 hrs and 6015 miles since installed in 1991 when the mwo was done. Yes it had the new style gaskets on it that have integral fire rings and the red linings around the passages and it was leaking coolant from the rear head in the front and rear along the side with the intake. Yes i have turned the fuel up but i have the digital piro installed in the exhaust manifold and it never exceeded 1000deg. at any point. I am just hoping for a way to NOT have to replace them for this truck is needed very soon because I am remodeling a house I have just closed on and cash is a little tight for replacing them. Any help is very appreciativeaua . Thanks

jatonka

You already have the answer, you can get away with .004" with out cutting the valve seats, after that, cut the valve seats to keep the compression where it belongs. The heads warp, that is a given, they have to be checked any time the head gaskets are replaced. Any machine shop that does head work can do this and they will have books on Hercules 478 engines from Oliver and White farm tractors that will give the specs on head work. JT

IROCMARK

heads warped

I guess the question I am asking is if anyone knows what the reason is for only being able to remove .005" from the heads these look like they have plenty of material to be able to remove .007" and still be safe I am not trying to contradict anyone I am just trying to see if anyone else has had success from removing more than .005" from them and if not what was the failure from this. I have access to a machine shop and plenty of tooling but they do not have any experience with military heads or farm tractor heads for that matter.Yes I could contact a machine shop that is familiar with them but they will not be open until tuesday and I am just trying to get the ball rolling but also dont want to set myself up for failure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks