• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headsets and intercom for 5 tons or deuce

Vintage iron

I have a M813 5 Ton cargo with a NTC 250. It is loud at idle but, I wear hearing protection while driving, so on radio or talking to your passengers. I have looked into the military headsets that they use on Helicopters and other vehicles, but I remember from being in the Corp. That these are uncomfortable and complicated. A buddy pointed me to pilot headsets but these are expensive and complicated too. Then I came across racing headsets for BAJA trucks and Rally racing. I spoke to Mark at Rugged Radios .com they had the perfect kit. It is comfortable, can listen to the radio, when passengers talk it lowers the radio and returns it when they stop talking, can use my Ipod and can receive calls from my Iphone. This kit also has the DSP chip which filters out the background noise when talking on the phone or to passengers. Plus I am not cooking my head while talking on the phone and have both hands on the wheel. I hope this helps others, who are having the same issues!

Vintage iron

Connect two people with the RRP660 intercom and DSP for the best in audio clarity for unparalleled communications. (can expand up to 6-persons)
The ultimate VOX Intercom system for clear driver and co-driver communications is the perfect plug-in and race system.
Also features high-output iPod port with Auto Muting. Listen to your music without any external amplifier like the other intercoms. Simply connect to a 12 volt system, plug in the extension cables, and put on your helmet. It's that easy!
Kit Includes:

• (1) RRP660 Rugged intercom
  • (1) DSP Chip
  • (2) H22 Carbon Fiber Ultimate Headsets
  • (2) 12' Intercom Extension Cables
  • (1) Straight Music Cord (for MP3/iPod)

Driver523

Just got home from crewing the Ace of Spades for about 8-9 hundred miles, the Vic-1 worked perfectly---2 boxes in the cab and 4 more in the rear, over the years it seems to be the regular headsets and a hand mic that works best---we can watch the sides and hear everyone just fine at hiway speeds-----------------Driver

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a real nice system. Unfortunatley is cost $29 more than my truck did. My unit of preference is the Peltor Powercom.

Vintage iron

Sounds cool! Hey that is great if it works for you. I know there are guys selling those set ups on here for a few hundred bucks, but i am trying to keep the cab uncluttered and the wiring simple. Plus the old military headsets are uncomfortable to me. Feels like having a plungers on my ears. What are you wearing for headsets? Can you hook in your Iphone or are you just using it as a intercom?

ODDBALL007

That's a real nice system. Unfortunatley is cost $29 more than my truck did. My unit of preference is the Peltor Powercom.
i will 100% agree with keny on the powercoms. I used a set for last years GA rally trip and i went and bought 2 headsets off ebay for 200 apiece new in the box. I got the neckband model as i like to wear hats. Best 400 i spent since the divorce. Plus i can hook my cell phone or ipod up to it no problem

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds cool! Hey that is great if it works for you. I know there are guys selling those set ups on here for a few hundred bucks, but i am trying to keep the cab uncluttered and the wiring simple. Plus the old military headsets are uncomfortable to me. Feels like having a plungers on my ears. What are you wearing for headsets? Can you hook in your Iphone or are you just using it as a intercom?

I'm with you on clutter. I've had several VIC-1 systems but have migrated to the powercoms. There is absolutley zero wiring and my passenger can actually get out of the truck and ground guide me via the headset. Works good for truck to truck comms as well. I can hook in a cell phone or music but not both at the same time. I don't see any reason one couldn't use the Iphone with it.

Vintage iron

lots of good info. I checked out the Peltor Powercom and piratecom too. They both look good. It is nice to have the wireless true! The prices are a little higher right now on e-bay $375+ for each. I am going to stick with some wires, because I want to get away from transmitting next to my head. I have cooked my brain enough. All I can say is they are awesome at Rugged and I look forward to doing business with them. They have set that go up to six people and wireless too. I don't mind spending the money for a good produce that I will have for the rest of my life. Others may want to go another way. I know it will be nice to have music on those long trips. I do like to listen to the engine, now and then too.

I tried with him as of right now he is out of tested units and won't have his test equipment up for a little while. I was hoping to have it in my truck before heading to the Gilbert show at the end of Sept. Are there any other recomendations?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks