• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hearing Protection - An often overlooked safety concern

FM5332FF

WHAT DID YOU SAY? never mind that was for the girlfriend... I agree it would suck not being able to hear, especially if you know that you can prevent it... Like one of my fire school instructors use to say " Your dead because your dumb."

2Deuces wild

WHAT? I can't hear you. Oh my ear plugs. Safety first. Always check tires for pressure, side wall damage etc. Looses or missing lugs nuts, parking Brake, service brakes, Oil, coolant, belts, hoses. And most important the Lug nut behind the wheel. Safety starts with you.:-D

randyscycle

Yep, keep them ears protected. Mine ring constantly now and I definitely can't hear certain things (not selectively all the time) when other sounds around are at just the right frequency.

Never thought about earplugs 20 years ago, and now it shows.

firebuilder

I worked in a university sound lab. We tested ear plugs and ear muffs about 5 years ago for a forging plant when they were making hearing protection mandatory. We found that the tapered foam ear plugs protected better than the high end (non-noise canceling) ear muffs and were more comfortable for an extended time. Don't know about the noise canceling ear muffs since the company wasn't going to going to shell out that much money on its employees.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked in a university sound lab. We tested ear plugs and ear muffs about 5 years ago for a forging plant when they were making hearing protection mandatory. We found that the tapered foam ear plugs protected better than the high end (non-noise canceling) ear muffs and were more comfortable for an extended time. Don't know about the noise canceling ear muffs since the company wasn't going to going to shell out that much money on its employees.

Wow, a forging plant up untill 5 years ago didn't require hearing protection :shock:. I've been in forging plants and when them hammers fall it shakes the earth and is about the loudest thing I've ever heard.

LightCorporal

Umm.
My immediate thought, being as ignorant as I am, is:
is it possible to muffle the noise of your vehicle?
I know that with aircraft it is not practical due partly to added weight.
But with a 5 ton truck, would it not be possible, if anyone cared to try,
to quieten that beast so you don't need all the extra ear gear, and
clever turning of the head to spot that 747 crossing your bow.
I am sure that someone has tried to muffle that noise.
Or have they?
Or is it uncool?
Or is it too expensive?
Or what is the reason why these trucks need to be so loud?
Ever seen (or heard) any of the old trucks and farm tractors
from about a century ago? Some of those steam vehicles?
Talk about noise & heat, whew!
not only no AC, but no power steering.:wink:

PsycoBob

I'm curious about that myself. I think that an arctic-style insulation kit under the hood would quiet down the noise near the truck. A muffler is an obvious solution to exhaust noise, along with a tall pipe. Intake noise is a bit harder... Fording-style extension to get the noise up away from people? All-metal (no fiberglass) intake muffler/resonator?

SasquatchSanta

Yes, It's possible to appreciably decrease the cab noise in an M35. I've talke two steps and will take two more before winter.

!. I installed a Spal 24 volt fan. It's surprising how much the elimination of the water pump fan quiets the cab.

2. I installed a muffler. Later fearing the muffler might be causing undue restrictions I installed a second. In looking back I don't think it was necessary but I think it looks good.

3 & 4. I've got the materials ordered for a complete headliner. I feel the headliner installed on sound proofing/insulation mattingl will make a big difference. I'm also going to install sound proofing matting on the inside of the hood. I read somewhere, probably on SS, that worn hood hinges add to cab noise.

Some of you have seen some of these pics before but some of you newer guys may not have.

Oh yeah --- I feel the 395 tires are a lot quieter than some of the more severe tires

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping to the top for all the new MV owners.

Hearing protection is a must around these machines. Between hearing lose and ringing in the ears, it makes me long for my younger (more stupid) days.

RAYZER

Bumping to the top for all the new MV owners.

Hearing protection is a must around these machines. Between hearing lose and ringing in the ears, it makes me long for my younger (more stupid) days.
You are right sir!
Like the sticker on the dash reads "hearing protection required"!
Do you hear crickets all the time like I do?

FloridaAKM

My hearing loss is due to serious gunfire back in the day when I was young using no ear protection. Now days, anyplace with large background noise is not where I want to be, if I want to hear what someone next to me is saying. While driving the Deuce, hearing protection is always worn as is days on the gun range. We get smarter as we get older hopefully...

Requital

My hearing loss is due to Rock concerts in my youth, 40 years of working around and flying on military aircraft, and weapons fire for almost as long. Last time my hearing was tested my right side was worse than my left; partially because I shoot mostly right handed. I have to also wonder if my hearing loss is greater on that side because that is the side my wife has been sitting on for over 45 years while I'm driving. I wear hearing protection anywhere I may be subject to noise, not in the house (wife doesn't like it). I even wear hearing protection when flying commercial airlines. Like Warthog, I hear Cicadas all the time but I also want to hear my grandchildren when they talk to me.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you hear crickets all the time like I do?
Crickets? I can hear one, but not the bunch on a summer night. My early life in Marine infantry, then in the Airwing flying CH-53's, robbed me of several hearing frequencies and subjects me to a LOUD chorus of crickets 24 hours a day, whether they are there or not. Silence is just a long ago experienced phenomenon, and distant memory, for me, and something I would love to experience again, but won't. Like hearing more than half of what is said to me, or ANYTHING in a crowded place.

You youngsters, take care of your ears, wear hearing protection!! It IS manly.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks