• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heated Mirrors

tx399999

I got the windshield washer kit from Saturn Surplus. It was a quick install, but you have to drill a hole in the tub behind the hood.

The alcohol evaporator keeps condensation from freezing in the air system. It hooks up to the intake on the compressor and pulls air through the alcohol. It came with a plate to mount to the compressor, but it didn't on mine. I ended up bolting it above the headlight.

I'll take pictures of the install tonight.

Darwin T

thanks, i have seen air lines freeze on the show "ice road trucks". i have a windshield washer kit setting in my living room/parts room. next to the arctic fuel burning cab heater, next to the arctic fuel burning M109 box heater, next to the next box of stuff and so on. aua

tx399999

Both kits inatalled easily. I put both in along with a couple of other projects in an afternoon. I get alcohol by the gallon at NAPA. The washer kit and electric wipers do a great job of keeping the windshield clear.

Attachments

feets

The windshield washers are great. What would make them even better would be to install a heater on the line or in the reservoir like you find in Mercedes cars. It circulates engine coolant through a coil in the reservoir to heat the fluid.
It really bites when you squirt fluid on your windshield and it freezes into a nasty glaze.
I have used the winter fluid with the alcohol content. That's hard on hoses and does little to de-ice the windshield. The heated fluid will help remove ice as it builds while driving.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My heated mirrors just arrived. Pretty simple install that I hope to get to this week. One wire each side to ground and one wire each side to a toggle switch pulling power from my 12 volt fusebox. Looks like I will need two small holes to run the wires into the cab and a 1/2 inch hole in the dash for the switch. Oh and a can of TAN spray paint.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the heated mirrors today. 1/4 inch hole into the cowl which I sealed with paintable sealer. I thought about running the wires through the mirror support brakets, but Rat4Spd convinced me it wasn't woth the effort and the Army would not have done it.

Simple install - power wires to a "racing" switch (painted TAN) which feeds off of the 12 volt fusebox with the suggested 10 amp fuse. And a ground. And lots of tan paint and zip ties.

I turned them on and they felt warmer than the round spot mirrors that aren't heated. I have less than 30 in the two mirrors and 5 bucks in the switch. A few connectors, some tape, a foot of wire and of course TAN paint. All stuff I have here.

I'm camping in the mountains Saturday night so we will see how well they work then.

Pics are fixed. Look a few posts down.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
after driving the deuce home tonight i defiantly need some heated mirrors..
So spend 30 bucks and 20 minutes and :grd:

I guess if you wire them in series you would make the load 24 volts and be ok. Not sure what happens if one burns out while hooked up that way.

You might be ok wiring them up as 12 volt and connecting to one battery - they aren't used a lot.

You could find 24 volt versions. I got these really cheap on eBay, but there were many, many others.

Looking forward to getting up Sunday morning to frosted over windows and mirrors and seeing how well they work (staffing a winter camp for scouts this weekend).

So far my window defrost plan is to put my propane heater in the cab for 15-20 minutes before I'm ready to leave. I also have this cheap hand held 12 volt defroster thing that I'm not expecting much from.

Normally the frosted windows/mirrors aren't a problem up there because where I park is the 1st spot to see the sun in the morning. This Sunday however I have to leave extra early to pick up "Soldier B" at the airport from his court ordered "visitation" with his birth mom. Five weeks every year. I still owed 2 weeks from last year and did one week for this year. It's been a long three weeks without my right hand man.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Single best thing I've ever done to the deuce. It was cold and wet when I left this morning and they cleared up quickly.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mirrors were iced over this morning in camp. Fired up the truck and flipped on the switch for the mirrors. Before I could even start the propane heater to de ice the windows the mirrors were clear. I ran them 5 minutes and shut them off. They stayed clear after that, but it got warmer as I headed off of the mountain.

Unless you're trying to keep your truck all original or never drive when the mirrors fog up or ice over then everyone should install a set.

You could wire them in series and make the load 24 volts or just wire them to one battery. The load is so small and you would use them so little that I can't see it hurting anything. You could even wire them to a small motorcycle battery and trickle charge it every once in awhile - I'll bet it would last a long time before going dead.

I'll be installing heated round mirrors next. And electric wipers.

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

I'm camping in the mountains Saturday night so we will see how well they work then.

Word of advice never tell people on a web site when you are going to be gone.Bad things can happen.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Word of advice never tell people on a web site when you are going to be gone.Bad things can happen.

You're right - bad stuff would have happened - my sweet wife might have had to call the police after the dog attacked an intruder or even defend herself if someone made it into the house. That's of course if the alarm company wasn't doing their job.

Really good advice is never tell anyone on a website when you're not going to be home and it will be EMPTY. I trust that between the dogs, wife and alarm system that things would be as safe as if I were home.

(note to future intruders - my wife doesn't go to DIRTBAG or scout events)

Your mileage may vary.

srodocker

alright dug you convinced me...i'll get a pair. i know too want to do the electric wiper upgrade as my air motors are crapping out on me...and there so darn loud

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What do think about posting when you're doing a recovery or say announcing that you'll be gone out out of state (with wife) doing multiple recoverys ? Maybe we need to send a security team to Westys to check his house?

Asking for contact info along a route might be a bad idea cuz people will know when you're gone.

Thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks