• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Control Valve

allenhillview

OK, I've read most but maybe couldn't find all I needed, that given I got to stop heat from coming into cab, via flow we know about already.

Is there a valve that allows by-pass as well so thermostat works as should?

I'll do manual or electric if this is something thats been done? searched sites, see some but would like some input first please?

All I found in threads was to do it if you want, not seen a neat job yet or pics, or any parts used.

allenhillview

Also, ones I've looked at are vacuum, ( all by-pass mdls.) but the only one i saw that was metal (by-pass mdl. as well) is discontinued from a 50's model chevy.

I guess it will be two valves and a check-valve, plus a tee, if no one pipes in?

Is it true? that the flow can't be stopped on both lines and be done until need heat?
Must it be by-passed?

Keith_J

What makes you think a simple blocking valve would impact the thermostat performance? Heater circuit bypasses the thermostat.

Keith_J

The coolant pump is dynamic, not a fixed displacement. So it can be dead headed without issue. The thermostat only blocks flow to the radiator. Coolant still flows through the engine block until the coolant reaches the thermostat's initial opening temperature, then some flow goes through the radiator.

Installing a blocking valve on the heater hose circuit will do no harm. My old truck used such a valve, operated by a Bowden cable, to regulate cab heat. It ran fine in the summer with this valve completely closed.

I suspect you have an issue with the blend door which isn't moving or sealing. The valve on the heater hose is a good substitute, look at LMC Truck for this valve off a 69 Ford, it should fit the existing line.

Motomech

I just added a simple Ball valve to one of my heater lines. Shut it off for the summer and open it in the winter. I'm about to do it again to a 74 Chevy I just picked up.

allenhillview

Keith_J, Which hose should I use valve on?

And I read what I wrote from a past thread on here just go to search threads there are 5 on control valve, anyway here we are and thanks.

There is nothing wrong in my box just a little rush of air as you move down the road at 45 or so, stop; then no heat in cab, checked blend door its fine just the fact that the core is hot and fresh air from intake in cowl. Keith which direction is the flow?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks