• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Core, alternator now rear driver's directional out,assistance needed!!

joesco

I am 5 months over due on my state inspection, health, 10 feet of snow, bad heater core (replaced) , two weeks ago, alternator fried(replaced) and yesterday I finally drove it over to the truck shop for my state inspection and the driver's rear directional was out. All lights work except for that one dang bulb. Replaced the bulb, nothing. Tested the socket and found 22v but no amps.

My search on the forum is telling me a bad flasher unit or light receptacle.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When one of my blinkers stopped working it ended up being the blinker switch. One of the contacts was smeared with dried up grease and the spring piece wasn't strong enough to push the tip through it anymore. I cleaned them all up, added fresh dielectric and it's still working fine. The switch operates smooth as glass now.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The switch. Mine happened to be the right rear that wouldn't work. I checked all wiring, including grounds, from switch to the light and then the light itself. This led me to the switch.

joesco

Help me out guys, what mechanical contacts are you referring too? I unscrewed the harness and checked pins and connection and re-applied fresh dielectric grease and my driver's rear directional still won't blink!

joesco

Ok, just took the switch off and apart. Found the contacts, cleaned them, reassembled it and still no blinker. So I re-checked the bulb and it's fine. The socket tested proper voltage but no amps. Don't I need amps to flash the bulb? Thanks again!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the ground at the light that doesn't work and the other connections to that light, at the light. If the other lights flash, the problem is at the light that is not working, or the wires going to it.

joesco

Thanks Tow4, I removed the plate behind the light receptacle and found a crush wire. Then I removed the 2 bolts holding the receptacle to the frame and found another crushed wire with the insulation exposed. I am hoping this was causing a short. The receptacle was in bad shape, so I ordered a new pair online, NOS for $76. Should have them by Saturday. Will post after I install them.

joesco

Good news bad news I solved my directional problem, it was the directional switch on the steering column, replaced it with an NOS unit and it solved the problem. Off to the truck shop for my state inspection for the third attempt and had to use my wipers due to a torrential down pour. The passenger switch failed causing an air leak. Now I am on the hunt for a new passenger wiper switch! I think my truck is cursed!

steelandcanvas

Nah, the truck isn't cursed, you're just finding and exterminating all the bugs. By the way, the flasher module would be bad if none of the turn signals operated. You'll only get an ampere reading if you have your meter in series with a load.