• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater core leaking

jvrotter

OK, got home a little while ago and a big puddle under the front of my '86 Blazer. Checked inside and the heater core is leaking. So how much of a hassle is it to change one of these? Only experience with heater cores was installing one in a M151A2. What a PITA. Any good sources for one? New or used?

ssdvc

I recently did mine. It leaked the day I brought it home and I waited to replace it (for a number of reasons). Anyway, I went to Autozone and picked up the Spector (sp) Premium Heater Core. It fit well and I made sure it was sealed all the way around so air flow went through the core, not around it. Worked good this past winter.

It is not a hard job and I made sure to put on new hose clamps at the same time (I actually did all the hoses too). There is a good write up on here and it was very helpful.

jvrotter

Looked around can only find alum ones. Anybody know of copper/brass ones being available? Have seen a few online but not positive they will fit as I have heard of guys getting the wrong model.

Brett09

Why not aluminum? It has a great heat exchange and as long as you're keeping up on your service it will give you decades of use. I always like to learn something new so I ask alot of questions, sorry.

Keith_J

The aluminum ones are slightly different in dimension and require special sealing to force all the air through the core. Ignore this and most air will bypass the core, leading one to think the core doesn't work. But sealed correctly, the aluminum ones work fine.

Remember, there is a pressure drop over the air side of the core so ANY leak will bypass effectively.

ssdvc

The Spector Premium core is aluminum and it worked fine for in CT this past winter. It also has side "wings" that extend coverage better than most replacement cores. Some minor sealing with foam tape was required, but not very much at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks