• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater core was taken offline?

edpdx

The cold weather prompted me to turn the heat on in my M1009. It just blew cold on all settings. I've seen this before... HEATER CORE CHANGE Aaagggghhhh!:shock:

Its too **** cold to work on it but I was hoping to flush the core until I could give it more attention in the spring. WTF?!? The heater hoses were both cut or disconnected. The top radiator hose was routed to the crossover.

I looked up the TM and found the right routing. Flushed the core back and forth, and re-plumbed the heater hose. Now there is pretty warm air coming out where it should- takes awhile to get warm though.

Any idea why it was disconnected?

ralbelt

The only reason I can think of for disconnecting a heater is because it was leaking. It is possible that the leak was small and corroded over, it may start leaking again so I would keep a connector handy to connect the two heater hoses together 3/4 to 5/8 reducer from napa about $2.00.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other reason could have been a busted hose on the road, only had enough useable hose to bypass it.

edpdx

Could have been either scenario gentleman... but I ran it down the hill to school this morning and though it was blowing hot, I could not keep the window defogged. Looked down at the passenger floor and saw the leaking antifreeze. It was nice for a few minutes in all that heat.

I'll order up a heater core from the dealer and get on it. Was hoping to wait til spring; but we've all done harder jobs in shi**ier weather. Oh well .:(

bkwudzhom

Mine dosent heat worth a crap as it is. Since I will have my soon to be 5yr old with me most all of the time I have been planning to just change out the core and replace the hoses in the dash. Hope it helps--any other suggestions?

WARWAG

Could have been either scenario gentleman... but I ran it down the hill to school this morning and though it was blowing hot, I could not keep the window defogged. Looked down at the passenger floor and saw the leaking antifreeze. It was nice for a few minutes in all that heat.

I'll order up a heater core from the dealer and get on it. Was hoping to wait til spring; but we've all done harder jobs in shi**ier weather. Oh well .:(

Get an original one. Not the thin aluminium ones.

BIG_RED

The nipple that screws into the crossover on my M1009 had a 3/8" or smaller diameter hole in the middle for coolant to flow. Same with the nipples between the crossover and the water pump (the tiny 4" long radiator bypass hose). I replaced these three nipples with nice brass ones that have 1/2" holes - and there is alot more flow through the heater core. (only the one that connects the crossover to the heater core needs to be changed in your case, replacing the other 2 that connect to the water pump and crossover will just help with engine cooling) I know this because I had my radiator a few quarts low on coolant before this modification, and i could see the flow comig from the heater core back to the rad. It was kinda slow for a 3/4" hose. There was a noticeable difference after the modification. More flow and more heat. I would also recommend replacing the thermostat. Mine was original and never stopped flow through the rad, was stuck open. Got a "winter" one that opens at 195* and my heat got way better. Truck also warmed up faster (engine quieted down faster) and I think it was even a little better on fuel. No difference in hot weather, does not overheat.

BIG_RED

I agree - the heat out of my M1009 has to be turned down or it becomes a sauna. It just took an awful long time (half hour) to get that hot before the new nipples and thermostat.