• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heater fan motor would not start.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, the motor of my heater fan keeps failing. Has been completely dead for the last few months.
Electrically, this is fine i think.
Had yesterday, as part of the diagnosis, removed the distributor (window/footwell) on the passenger side and gave it a push "on suspicion". There he started. And also then again and again. Had him already checked off as cured.

But today, short tour with two stops, he did not start again after the second stop.

Am now about to drill a small hole in the bottom to give him manually a push if necessary.

Does anyone have a smart idea to?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn it on and give it a good tap or two, sounds like your brushes are worn or stuck.

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, also thought about the coals. Have him but, after he then ran after the first push, not further disassembled. I blew it out completely with compressed air. If I had collected all the sand from Barstow that was in the cart I could plant cacti in it now!

I'll see if I can get it motivated from the outside by tapping.

P.S.
Great... full of enthusiasm just out into the cold to try it with a push. Ignition on.... and the stupid fan motor starts right up. I could hear him giggling quietly.

Next trial follows.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, also thought about the coals. Have him but, after he then ran after the first push, not further disassembled. I blew it out completely with compressed air. If I had collected all the sand from Barstow that was in the cart I could plant cacti in it now!

I'll see if I can get it motivated from the outside by tapping.

P.S.
Great... full of enthusiasm just out into the cold to try it with a push. Ignition on.... and the stupid fan motor starts right up. I could hear him giggling quietly.

Next trial follows.
That surprises me somewhat, when I was importing Unimogs US customs was absolutely anal about any foreign material being on board.
Several times they would be on "hold" by customs, the customs agent would point over to a spot at the corner of the parking lot and tell me to drive/drag them to that spot and they had a rather high pressure hose/nozzle down there and I would have to wash the crud out of them, sometimes more than once, one time three times before that bureaucrat would be satisfied. EDIT, I likely brought that on myself as I gave that guy a hard time, the Houston ship channel in August is pretty brutal, he did show me who was boss though....
The thing got me is all of that was running off into the Houston ship channel, they claimed the salt water would render anything harmless:censored:

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Customs officers are the pigs. Gladly social failures who are then still given power.
Customs folks are an awful lot like building inspectors... They couldn't "hack it" in the real world and got themselves a gouberment job and discovered that they could make life miserable for everybody else,

mccullek

Customs folks are an awful lot like building inspectors... They couldn't "hack it" in the real world and got themselves a gouberment job and discovered that they could make life miserable for everybody else,
It does seem like the world's worst people, with the worst personality, seem to end up in a job where they have to serve the public daily. And they hate every minute of it and take their hate out on their customers! Why is that? lol

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I think I need a new fan motor. 50:50 chance that he starts directly. But after 30min approx it usually goes out again by itself.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering where you are it may be easier to put new brushes it it, not sure how the surplus market is there, who knows they may be on every street corner :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks