• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater idea for recovery

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really have to have some type of electro mehcanical heat, you could run your genset in the back and bring a heating blanket and heat pad to sit on. The electric blanket combined with a mobile small heating pad would be quite toasty.

Edit, just thought of something. If you have a 24V fan, all you need is any old heater core, some nipples and heater hose and you have a heater. You could even enclose it with some scrap wood and cardboard.

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Hopefully I'll be recovering my duece's soon. It's -17 out right now and the duece's don't have heater's. my two options are gen set in bed electric heat in cab or propane Mr heater in cab. the propane would be the easy one because the generator would be alot harder to get to and load because of te snow and where it is. So witch would be beter? And I hope it's warmer when I go get them.
\

i would just bundle up in your warmest winter wear...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Thinking more on visibility than myself.
Once you have the temp equal both inside the cab and out you won't have any foggy windows ... If you get snow use windshield wipers but in -17 degrees the chances of snow falling is low, only snow being blown around. I think you'll be fine. I drive a m35A2 with no heat as a daily driver. I just bundle up and crack a window to equalize the interior and exterior temp of the cab.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visibility is important! That is not snow on the windshield. It is ice.

Attachments

Last edited:

nk14zp

Well I could take the soft top off fold the windsheild down roll down the door windows and be all set.Hey I wouldnt evan have to worry about bugs in my teeth

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Visibility is important! That is not snow on the windshield. It is ice.
Yeah, it is important, I usually put an old duvet cover on my windshield if I know it is going to be extremely cold ,snow, rainy or icy. I figured that this guy would probably scrap off the windows with a scrapper and than let the heat that rises from the hood keep the windows clean... In fact I've put a tarp over the cover the window and hood when the engine reaches about 140-160f in temp and let it idle for 5-10 minutes and that will keep the windscreen clean.

I think driving around with an open flame heater in the truck might be more dangerous than is necessary for recovery if you bring the right tools for scraping the windows and even stop and scrap them once and while on the way home if necessary.

that is just me.

m38inmaine

Dale, I drove my deuce back from PA 700+ miles no heater, old drafty canvas top. Yes, it was January, yes it was below zero the whole way, and yes it was very cold. I had a coleman radiant propane heater that fits directly on a small lantern cylinder. All it was good for was thawing the one hand not on the wheel and then switching. I had full arctic gear on and still froze. The cab is so drafty I think the 02 level will be fine. I would opt for a dual MR Heater on a 20lb cylinder sucured to the passenger floor.

BEASTMASTER

i've been using one of those coleman tent heaters in my buggie for the past 5 years while plowing. i set in the right side floorand put a 20# propane in the bed, and run a 10 foot hose thru a hole in the floor to the heater.like they say , with all the drafts in the thing, you will not kill yourself. it's better than nothing.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ice on the windshield formed time and time again. Even though it wasn't snowing I had to run the wipers to try and keep it clear. Every time a truck went by it tossed more crap on the glass and would sometimes freeze immediately. At times I stopped when it got to hard to see and would use spray on de-icer to clean the glass. I had to cover the radiator as shown in the pic just to get the truck to 180 degrees on the gage while running. This decided coverage was accomplished by trial and error until I got it right. There was no heat source as the core ruptured 850 miles from home.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Yes, it's home. Still sorting out two problems with it before I can get it on the road. It won't shift out of first, reverse is fine, fluid clean/full only has 11k on it, I suspect the nylon gear on the gov. or the vacuume pump, also have a class 3 leak on the passenger side next to the starter, which I am sure is a bad freeze plug, windshield said no af, now I know where it went. Will have to pull the starter to reach it. Generator/compressor works which is a relief. Hopefully can get at the trans tomorrow.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks