• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heater resistor..

beastm35

I have a question on the incab heater. why does the resistor get very hot when the fan is on low but works fine on hi? could it be the blower motor is bad?Thanks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A resistor converts electrical energy into heat. That is how they work. The electricity not convereted into heat ("the rest") gets to run the fan motor and it is enough to turn it at low speed. For high speed, the fan motor requires all the electrical energy, so the resistor is not being used.
I am sure there is a more elegant, electrotechnically more accurate explanation.

rustystud

A resistor converts electrical energy into heat. That is how they work. The electricity not convereted into heat ("the rest") gets to run the fan motor and it is enough to turn it at low speed. For high speed, the fan motor requires all the electrical energy, so the resistor is not being used.
I am sure there is a more elegant, electrotechnically more accurate explanation.
No, you basically covered it very well ! I took electrical engineering for two years (mostly math and more math !) and their explanations could be so complicated for such simple concepts.

beastm35

thanks for your help but when I say the resistor is hot it will melt plastic..I should have explained that better that's why I was asking..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should not touch anything. It needs the air around it to cool it.

It should be a 50 watt resistor, if I recall correctly. It could be as much as 100 watt.

Think about the heat a lightbulb gives off. Can't touch them either.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks