• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heating the M37

Kenneth Cole

Hi
I'm going to be adding a heater to the rig and wonder for those who have done this what type of heater did you use and what size (BTU'S) of heater.
I live in an area that can get a little nippy being about 25 miles east of Yellowstone park in northern Wyoming.

WarrenD

The stock fender mounted hot water heater should do just fine. Mine will put out more heat than I'll ever want and I like it warm. The arctic heater is way too much and I don't like the idea that it runs on gasoline.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel fired heaters will drive you out of a M-37 cab (I think they are rated at 45,000 BTUs). I had one. I removed it and went to a water heater type. The fuel fired heater was even too hot for my wife in the mountains in the winter in a screaming snow storm.

Just my 2cents

Storm 51

nattieleather

A lot of guy have had good luck with the M151 cab heater. I think they are like 25-30K going from memory here. They don't take up to much space in the cab. If you can find the original hot water that Warren suggested then go with that. If not try the M151 heater. If you do a search you will find a lot of info on heating the M37.

Cav Trooper

I agree on the water heater type. It will even put out heat when the fan is not running, just from the air flowing through it. I had to shut the water valves off at the block in the summer as the heater was still blowing heat when I drove down the road.

1943ht

My M37 had a Korean Era hot water heater installed by an army Motor Pool during its service in Korea .. even had a very nice bracket fabricated to support the heater .. bracket runs from High/Low/FWD Shift cover to the heater .. heater came out of either a deuce or M38 and was a professional install to include a heavy duty resister mounted on the firewall to the fan switch so that you could adjust the fan speed :grin:

I had one of those Military West-Wind Gas heaters installed in my 73 Porsche 914-6 back in the day (My Dads idea).. man that thing would roast you right out of the car in a Minnesota Winter.:driver:

Bill W

The ( correct ) fender mounted heaters for the M-37's are hard to come by and $$
Or ( as already mentioned), you can retro one of these to fit in the cab Jeep Heater

Last edited:

CGarbee

Information and instructions for installing a M151 heater in a M37 can be found at: Heater

I've also got a scanned copy of the Perfection Arctic Heater Kit Installation Manual. This is the gas fired unit that circulated warmed coolant through the engine and battery tray. Its exhaust was routed via a duct down to the "box" that surrounded the oil pan in order to assist in warming the oil as well. The scan is located at: Perfection Arctic Heater Kit Instalation Instructions

At some point, I would really like to add info on the fender mounted hot water and gas fired heaters...

Good luck, stay warm. :)

SteveKuhn

How NOT to install a Jeep Heater

After seeing Cabell's nice installation, thought I'd post how NOT to install it. This is how sumbuddy else did it before I bought it and it's coming out for the time being. Might even end up in the Deuce.

BTW, those water outlet holes in the block take 1/2" NPT plugs, don't they?

Steve

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...thought I'd post how NOT to install it. This is how sumbuddy else did it before I bought it and it's coming out for the time being. Might even end up in the Deuce.

BTW, those water outlet holes in the block take 1/2" NPT plugs, don't they?

Steve

Wow! Bubba was on the loose and rip, roaring busy that day! That just looks like a LOT more work than necessary for what got accomplished.

Just wow!

Storm 51

SteveKuhn

I'm still trying to figger out the 'accomplished' part - but it does blow hot air. Fortunately for the truck, I think he Bubba'ed himself out with this one and left the rest of the 'improvements' for another day. Just 3 little holes in the top of the dash support will be left behind.

Steve

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little welding, grinding and sanding will fix those holes. Add a little paint and no one will ever need to know what Bubba did....:-D

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks