• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavier tow-ee than tow-er

Cletus09

You guys are gonna have my head for this but...
I am 16 and after alot of research i bought my first vehicle, an m1009 (best decision I ever made). Shortly after, my dads S10 was totaled... he needed a new vehicle and really liked mine and started a little bit of his own research.. before to long he was searching around on GL. He finally found and bought an m1008 in Pennsylvania, 5 hours away from us. So we went and rented a dolly and went to go get it and tow it home with my 09. Great idea except the 08 weighed 700 lbs more than the 09. everything went well except for the 09 over heating on the hills on the way back (it was 100 plus degrees outside), and getting pushed in an intersection while it was raining, other than that, the trip went very well considering the circumstances.

The lights are what we riggy rigged up to make it legal.

sorry for the crummy pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, its done now and you are home safe. I would never recommend anyone do that, but now you know why. You should have heard how many people said I couldn't stack 3 trailers and pull them home from the Ga rally. I made it just fine. Good looking truck!

M715VFD405

There is a difference between shouldn't be done and can't be done. But like gimpy said done is done and no harm was done. So hats off to ya and nice score for your dad he got a great looking truck. Just remember how it felt coming home so you know next time not to push your vehicle to hard. We had a rule in my fire dept and it basically said " if you don't make it to the fire you can't help and you'll make more work for others" It was said to younger guys with lead feet that liked to drive there vehicles and the depts to fast to a scene. In other words safety first :)

Jeremiah_Johnson

Over doing it while towing

I have towed an M1009 with another M1009 and that was pushing the limit. It was for only about 50 miles so I stayed under 55 but was over a steep mtn . braking was more of an issue with my tow but it was the biggest tow rig available.

Attachments

Well done my friend. You do what you gotta do in a pinch.

It is very common for the towed load weight to exceed the tow vehicle's weight, such as camping trailers, race car haulers etc. However, trailer brakes come in mighty handy in those situations.