• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEAVY duty Deuce

FDNY129

Found this picture while surfing around for another vehicle. Our neighbors to the North, call it a MLVW - Medium logistics vehicle wheeled. Medium? not even close.

DEW engineering builds for the Canadian armed forces. It says they start with a M35 to build on. Does it look like a deuce to you, eh?

Attachments

Stan Leschert

Hopefully this one is better. The old ones were badly underpowered. The Allison tranny saved us a lot in clutches, but the M-35A2 way out preformed them. According to the Col, our current MLVWs will be gone just after the Olympics. DO NOT hold out hope of getting one. The current MOT attitude is to not allow registration. The gov't is pointing to parting them out, sending Overseas, or seriously demilling them. There may be a surplus of parts for rcok crawlwers coming up! Needless to say, I'm not happy. I will wait to hear back from the inside track, but right now I would not hope to buy a whole one with the idea of driving it on any North American public road. Sorry guys. BTW check out the over cab rack on the old MLVW. That was a great idea! IHC is also building some trucks for us. We'll see what we get.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MTVR's are way b!#ch!n'[thumbzup]. They make the FMTV's look like sad excuses for European sand box toys. Sorry, guys...just not a fan of FMTV's.

Stan Leschert

Later on this week, I'll try to get a good photo of our current variant of the FMTV. We got a bunch in town for Olympic security, and I'll try to get a side by side shot of the M-135 for comparison. The last thing that I heard, was that IHC Navistar got the majority of the replacement contract. I will post more when I know. Could be a small while as retired means that you are not in the inner circle of the loop!

New Canadian 8-ton MSVS Trucks

See this thread - Canadian RFP for 2,300 Medium Trucks - for info on our new M-35/MLVW replacements, the Medium Suport Vehicle System. I posted a few pictures taken at the local Cummins dealers yard for size comparison. They have/are being distributed across the country since this past summer. I personally like the MTVR (one of the candidates) from Oshkosh best but the contract went to Navistar...

mudguppy

wow, those do look pretty beefy (and large).

even though OshKosh just about had the military truck market cornered, i'm not surprised they were under-bid - they're quite proud of their trucks as far as price and parts goes.

they are beasts!

I rode in a Marine Corp 7 tonner a few years back on Oshkosh's test track. Don't worry it's not underpowered! If I remember correctly it had a 425hp C12 or C13 Cat and a HD Allison. There is a video on Youtube of OSK 7.5 tonner pulling some gigantic bridge section or something to that regard. Just by looking at the suspension squat when it began to pull the platform/section you can tell it's not lacking in the pwr. dept.....

Andy

emr

Yes they are 7 tonners, they are actually a 7.1 ton, but I have heard them called 8 tonners and 7.5 tonnres, they are incorrect, ...next to a PLS or other hemmitt varient they are the best in the world for sure....They have set backs but only do to ease of getting in and out, otherwise they are suppurb...as for the FM TVs and such, they are not trying to be an Oshcosh, a different set of rules making them and a very different price tag, do not compare the 2, they are not meant to be,

southdave

Hopefully this one is better. The old ones were badly underpowered. The Allison tranny saved us a lot in clutches, but the M-35A2 way out preformed them. According to the Col, our current MLVWs will be gone just after the Olympics. DO NOT hold out hope of getting one. The current MOT attitude is to not allow registration. The gov't is pointing to parting them out, sending Overseas, or seriously demilling them. There may be a surplus of parts for rcok crawlwers coming up! Needless to say, I'm not happy. I will wait to hear back from the inside track, but right now I would not hope to buy a whole one with the idea of driving it on any North American public road. Sorry guys. BTW check out the over cab rack on the old MLVW. That was a great idea! IHC is also building some trucks for us. We'll see what we get.
I was wandering how these preformed with 8,2 and the allisons could you elaborate alittle? thanks

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had the pleasure of driving one, but I have sat in the driver's seat. What a commanding view from up there. There was one at Torrance, CA last May we got to play on.

And now for your visual entertainment...some pics...

Attachments