• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavy equipment trailer for my 5 ton

CGarbee

I'll have to look at the dataplate when I get home, but it is surprisingly high... Although it only has single tires on the axles, they are wide and have a high weight rating. I know that the trailer has had a small dozer on it (John Deere), but I don't want to say until I can eyeball it...

lacoda56

The '61 10 ton tilt deck is an old cat trailer. Used one just like it many years ago, good old solid hauler with solid walking beam suspension (no springs) but it's only 16' long. Hard to get enough weight on the hitch to keep the trailer from whipping. Also, unless you grew up on a farm backing up wagons, a converter dolly with trailer can be an unbelievable pain to back up. Any time you put two pivot points within 6 or 8 feet of each other, weird things happen. Again, just my two cents.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason,
Hiding under all that nasty old 24078 paint with the funny lettering essing up the sides.

Had to look twice in the leaves to be sure it was still there...........

This trailer only has electric brakes, but is capable of lockiing tires with a M561 loaded..Great puller but it goes alost 6000#.

jblueep

Is this your trailer? Is that trailer for sale? The trailer weighs 6K? Do you know what the payload capacity is? Where do you live?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The payload is 18,000#, GVW is 24,000# I am in NW Georgia. I have has 21,000# on it and it was just fine and happy. The ramps when folded flush up with the main deck and make it a 24' for cargo.
Let me think about the rest..

NEIOWA

jblueep said:
CGarbee, How much weight can that trailer hold?
3 versions

XM979, XM1061/M1061A are rated at 5t
XM1073 is rated at 7.5t
(Pretty conservative ratings)

Bed length varies from 12' to 14'

Photo is of our Fire Dept M1073 (w/3x 600gal pods). Very very nice trailer. Note has 2 drawbars (lower is telescoping/adjustible length).

Attachments

CGarbee

OK, took at look at the dataplate on my trailer tonight and this is what it has...
5 ton, 4 wheel trailer
NSN 2330-01-226-0709
Engineered Air Systems, Inc. St. Louis, MO
Manufacture's SN TR-100195 (the 195 portion is stamped, the rest is pre-printed making it the 195th trailer perhaps...).
Date 1991

225" long, 144" from lunette to midpoint between axles

Rating empty
on wheels 5400lbs
on lunette 600lbs
total 6000lbs

Rating Country/Highway (both are the same...)
payload 11,000lbs
on wheels 15,500lbs
on lunette 1,500lbs
total 17,000lbs

Note that mine only has a single drawbar, but that the lunette hight is adjustable. Also, since every other MV or military trailer I've been near has a higher "highway" rating, I wonder about this one having the same ratings for "cross country" and "highway"...

jblueep

CGarbee, Thanks for the info. I'm looking for something with twice that payload (20K lb backhoe to haul).

rmgill

JBlueep, This is the trailer for you.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...1186426&guid=468AD487C5D2455BBA7AFBD092AB4B66

20 Ton capactiy, tilt deck, Air brakes. All you gotta do is adapt the lights to military form and you're set. No mucking about with brakes and not a bad price either. You'll probably have to go over bearings and brakes and wiring, but it's a good sized trailer and looks sized right to really carry that weight.

jblueep

Wow. That's nice. I'll see if I can talk the wife into it :) Thanks for keeping you eyes open for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks