• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heavy hauling question

TheBuggyman

jasonjc said:
The thing you need to look at is the fact that you will be close if not over the 80,000lbs. That take permites. No mater what. And what is going to happen is the scoer mom in the minivan full of kids talking on her cell phone is going to pull out in front of you. And you in the deuce pulling 60,000lbs is going flatten that minivan killing her and the 8 kids. Not only will you lose every thing you have. But some lawer/polation is going to say that these old army trucks are deadly and they ALL need to be removed for the roads. And there goes all are truck's. Is it woth all that. A use OTR truck and trailer is not that much. 2cents
Ditto on that!
I hire a company to haul my excavator (72k lbs) and it requires overwidth and overweight permits. The overwidth also dictates what time we can haul the unit. My dozer goes with a different company and although it "only" weighs 38k, they still have a "blanket" permit to cover the weights. Also consider the "bridge laws" which dictate axle spacing/wheelbase etc. for given loads. Of course, I have talked to guys who haul more in their dumptrucks that the registration lists because they say that the fine is cheaper than the apportioned tags at the higher (legal) weights..........

captain

With the non-cdl class a/b is there a road test and if so do you have to provide a vehicle? or do they provide one? NC seems about the same as PA from what I can find on the DMV's site but it lists nothing about the non-cdl other then you need it or a cdl for heavy trucks.

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,thanks guys.Gonna find a school or someone that will help me out to get my Full blown CDL.Only thing that has kept me from getting them is the DOT physical......Just can't get past the Anal Probe part...... :shock:

CGarbee

captain said:
With the non-cdl class a/b is there a road test and if so do you have to provide a vehicle? or do they provide one? NC seems about the same as PA from what I can find on the DMV's site but it lists nothing about the non-cdl other then you need it or a cdl for heavy trucks.
In North Carollina: The tests in order are:
Knowledge test (writen, actually on the computer) for bassics like regulations, air brakes, endorsements (say, hazmat, tank, etc.).
Pre-Trip Inspection test where you go out and demonstrate that you can check out all the components on the truck that might give problems when going down the road. You have to pop the hood and check hoses, belts, fluid levels, check steering, tread on tires, lights, brake operation (including that low pressure alarms work), mirrors, tanks, etc...
Bassic Skills test where you get to demonstrate that you can drive forward, backwards, stop close to an obstruction when going forward and backwards, and back to the offside to a parking spot at right angles to your travel path (loading dock test), you can also get hit with some others like backing through a slalom, but most locations stick to the basics.
Road skills test where you get to hit the road in both urban and rural settings.

You have to pass each in order to move on, and you have to supply the vehicle. The vehicle that you are tested on must be the same class as the permit you are being tested for (you can't get a Class A for instance if you show up in a single axle dumptruck with no trailer for instance...).

The tests are based on the Class, not if it is CDL or Non-CDL.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found it easy to get a CDL.I started by renting with a 10wheel staright job ~ 23Y old. The road test rate at ryder was 50$ for 3 hr.Experience and Practice was from Ryder to the road test site ~5 miles. Then got a job (you could borrow something) and Co. told me to take the mechanic and go get the Class A. Played in the yard(backing tailers to the dock w/tractor trailers) a month.Road teast was easy and would have aced it but the guy was looking away as I went thru the wiper check. Added a few personal touches like carried a rag to wipe the tailights and pointed out I always check to make sure the back door was latched. They know pretty quick if you are ok.If you are not then best go to as the real world is much harder than any DMV test( if you've been driving a 5tw/trailer you will be OK),As for the written stuff the manual ( NY State for me) gives you has every thing you need to know.I studied it for a few weeks (like I was back in HS) and it was no big deal. Been driving ~22 years now.As for the physical there is no a--- probe though there is a herina check. JimK

captain

Do you think I could get away with a class A test with a 20000 pound trailer and my pickup? I think in this state C is combined weight of 26001 or more pounds. that trailer/truck would put me over that combined weight and put me over the 10k pound trailer weight. Or does it have to be a "big" truck.

rmgill

jwaller said:
this sounds like exactly what I need. did you have to take any tests to go with this or was it simply issued to you? can you forward this letter to me so I might be able to get the same license?
I don't think a letter from the Ga State AG would do much good for the SC DOT folks.

jwaller

rmgill said:
jwaller said:
this sounds like exactly what I need. did you have to take any tests to go with this or was it simply issued to you? can you forward this letter to me so I might be able to get the same license?
I don't think a letter from the Ga State AG would do much good for the SC DOT folks.
all my tags insurance and licenses are Ga. it's cheaper that way

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks