• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavy rust & wastage on MEP004 ASK Model

1800 Diesel

I asked the below question in an earlier post but it was imbedded in a thread about output voltages. I've added a few more details as needed...

The ASK enclosure on this unit is heavily rusted--mainly along the seams where the "doghouses" are secured to the sides and also along some of the panels down low. I suspect this unit spent some time either on or near a salt water beach. I have to decide if it's worth it to attempt to remove all panels & perform major rust repairs (including cutting out pieces and welding in new sections of angle-iron and maybe some flat panels. If the enclosure is too far gone, then it appears I will need replacement doors in order to return this unit to a "non-ASK" configuration. Is there anything else I will need besides the side & end doors? Maybe also the top panels as well? This is my first ASK model, so still don't know enough about how they're made.

Looking a little closer, I found where the panels are secured so I plan to start removing the panels & pieces to see what I'm dealing with.

If anyone has any advice or possibly has some parts sources, please let me know. I'll either need ASK enclosure panels or the original door panels as installed on a standard, non-ASK model.

BTW, the engine & generator function properly except a couple issues with the AC voltage gauge & the indicator light assemblies for the battle short & main circuit breaker switches...

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:

goldneagle

My advice is take lots of pictures so we can see how you take it apart and repairs done. We love lots of pictures.

For some rusty areas where the rust did not go all the way through you can lightly clean off the loose rust and apply Chassis Saver Paint. It will neutralize the rust and protect the metal. It is expensive but top quality.

Attachments

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

My advice is take lots of pictures so we can see how you take it apart and repairs done. We love lots of pictures.

For some rusty areas where the rust did not go all the way through you can lightly clean off the loose rust and apply Chassis Saver Paint. It will neutralize the rust and protest the metal. It is expensive but top quality.

I'll get a few pix on Friday..looks like we have rain coming today....you're probably starting to get the lead showers of the front over there in Slidell...

Jimc

Hey Kevin good thing about the ask enclosures are they are all flat sheet metal panels with just bends. If anything is real rusty and you have sheet metal, a break and some minor metal working tools it can be easily repaired. You can cut the bad sections out flange the edge with a clanging tool and either weld in a new piece or glue it in place with panel bonding adhesive. With the adhesive you can glue it in place and not worry about warping the sheet metal or cooking the insulation on the inside like with a welder. A proper panel bond will be unbelievably strong.

1800 Diesel

Hey Kevin good thing about the ask enclosures are they are all flat sheet metal panels with just bends. If anything is real rusty and you have sheet metal, a break and some minor metal working tools it can be easily repaired. You can cut the bad sections out flange the edge with a clanging tool and either weld in a new piece or glue it in place with panel bonding adhesive. With the adhesive you can glue it in place and not worry about warping the sheet metal or cooking the insulation on the inside like with a welder. A proper panel bond will be unbelievably strong.
Not familiar with panel bonding adhesive. When I get things stripped down to individual pieces I'll get a better idea of how bad things are. I know the seams are showing heaving chunks of rust & some of the angle iron structure down low (iwo the air supply area at the gen head end) are wasted away for a couple inches. Overall the panels look good except where the joints are.

BTW, I sent you a message earlier today in the classifieds.

Thanks,

Kevin

Jimc

I replied to your question about the serial number.

Panel bonding adhesive is used in non structural repairs in autobody. Mainly sheetmetal bodywork not frames or anything like that. Once bonded you would literally destroy the metal trying to get it apart. The angle iron would need to be welded of course.

1800 Diesel

I replied to your question about the serial number.

Panel bonding adhesive is used in non structural repairs in autobody. Mainly sheetmetal bodywork not frames or anything like that. Once bonded you would literally destroy the metal trying to get it apart. The angle iron would need to be welded of course.
Guess we didn't have that technology when I worked in the body shop years ago...we usually brazed the panels together & then had to deal with all the distortion with grinding & body filler & lots of sandable primer....Don't have a break rig, but it's on my list....

storeman

If the metal is worth saving, you might try a product called "Ospho" Phosphoric acid to stabilize the steel before priming and painting. Sold in quarts and gallons and sprayed on from any spritzer bottle. About $25 per gallon and I've been using the same gallon for years.
Jerry

1800 Diesel

If the metal is worth saving, you might try a product called "Ospho" Phosphoric acid to stabilize the steel before priming and painting. Sold in quarts and gallons and sprayed on from any spritzer bottle. About $25 per gallon and I've been using the same gallon for years.
Jerry
Yep, that's some good stuff...have used it on rusty boats & ships for a few years now. I just need to get this one disassembled to see how bad the wastage is....some areas the ospho will do the trick & other areas I'll have to do some cutting & fab/weld work...thanks for the weigh-in... :) Things good in VA?

1800 Diesel

1800, I saw this while out salvaging, not sure if it is the type of enclosure that you are looking for. Let me know, I may go back again to snoop around.
I could use that MEP (2 or 3?) fan cowling unless it's all bent up....(already have one of those)....The ASK model I'm working is an MEP004A. If the rust repair plan is too much work & $$, I may convert it back to a standard model & from what I can see, I would need all the doors from that model. Thanks for checking in.

Edit--Meant to ask you where that junk pile is...Is it close to your place? I've got a good friend (antique tractor stuff) up in Wayne county near Moscow.

Kevin

Last edited:

danjrofpa

That was at Colemans in Millersburg. They seem to want pretty much for the parts that were headed for scrap. I may go back and see if they will sell one of the units that is picked pretty clean just to have the block and spare generator end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks