• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavy Suckers!

cbvet

Got to spend a little more time on the 813 today.
Spare was loose in bed, so I figured I'd secure it. The two mounting studs at the front of the bed don't fit the 1400R20s, so I strapped it in place for now. I imagine the mount was for 1100x20s. I guess I'll have to make up a different mount.
Those big tires & wheels are HEAVY! I think I might be screwed if I ever have to change a tire.
I can picture my spare rolling down a hill when I finally push it out of the back of the truck. Then assuming I get the flat off & the beast changed, I'll have to leave the flat behind. There's no way in Hades I could lift it up into the bed.
May have to rig a bed crane.
I'm actually starting to question the value of these monster singles.
And what do you call the wheels pictured? I've never seen them before.
What had to be changed on the truck to be able to run these wheels? (I noticed the rear studs are the smaller diameter, like used on the front).
You know, just in case I want to switch back to something "smaller".
Pondering & pondering,
Eric
CBVET

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, they are fun to move around. ;) I always used a ramp to get them back in the mount on my 923A2. I would roll it up the ramp into the back of my pick-up truck and then up the ramp from my pick-up to the mount. Getting it out, I just rolled it from the mount to the ground. Just don't let it land on your foot or fall flat on the ground. Once it is flat on the ground, it's real fun getting it back up on the tread again. That wheel is one of the standard 20-bolt 2-piece rims found on the USMC 813A1's and the 939-series. The later 939's used 10-bolt rims, which are a lot easier to dis-assemble and re-assemble.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going back to duals requires only the wheels, tires and the 40 budd thimbles and nuts for the rear. Bet you could work an even swap with someone here if you decide to switch.

kcimb

Armyman30years installed a small crane in the back for lifting/unloading tires into the bed. It's one of those small 3/4 1 ton harbor freight cranes. Very handy for lifting small stuff.

Cdub

After your first flat and stranded on the side of the road you will make sure all your tires and wheels are up to par. Then you'll have to check the davit and make sure that's in 100% working order with a chain hoist and a chain to wrap around the tire. Then make sure you could remove the tire with a lug wrench and have a bottle jack and some blocks of wood. Making sure all your wheels studs are not frozen on or over tightened and make sure you can remove them with at least a 30-36" breaker bar. Lets not forget about the spare that hopefully holds air. Then there is the tire inflator with a glad handle.

All of these necessary tools should be carried in your tool box at all times and don't leave home with out them. There is a complete list of them in the back of your -10 manual.

I have spent big $$$$ making sure all these necessary tools plus more are in my two tool boxes at all times or I don't leave the driveway.

Believe me I KNOW.........just don't ask why.........

Cheers,

C'dub

dmetalmiki

Wheel Change

I run 1400x20 on my M54a2 and the spare is at centre of front headboard. and I have a pole in which fits a removable davit welded in the bed corner by the "door" (used to remove it thro) and a chain block to lift and swing it. no brob then ((just dont let it fall over flat!!)) when you've wheeled it to the required location..!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Wheel Change

Oh, if you do decide you would like to switch back to duals, let me know. I have been considering putting singles on my 818. We can meet somewhere in the middle at a truck-stop and swap everything out :)

houdel

cbvet said:
I can picture my spare rolling down a hill when I finally push it out of the back of the truck. ......May have to rig a bed crane.
I have one of those bed cranes in the back of my Deuce. Used it to load up a couple of mounted 9:00-20s I picked up at the GLMVPA show at General Jim's this summer. When I got home I decided to just toss the tires off the tailgate, they are just going to flop over and fall down anyhow. Kicked the first one off the tailgate, it landed on edge and started rolling down the driveway. Not to worry, it will fall over in about 1/2 second. The tire rolled straight down the driveway about 15 feet, turned 90 degrees in the blink of an eye, then rolled another 35 feet into the side of my van. Tire never wobbled at all, and that on a gravel driveway.

$1028.72 later, the van looks good as new. The second tire is still in the bed of my Deuce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Heavy Suckers!

Funny Lee. I can push them out of the truck and they take off like a raped ape across, the yard. If I try to roll them anywhere they flat refuse to cooperate.

Cdub

RE: Re: Heavy Suckers!

When I got the flat on the side of the road. Me and the police officer tossed it out of the back of the five ton which is five feet off the ground and thank goodness it just hit flat and didn't roll into the street and hit a passing car or even bounce off the police car....I was a lucky SOB....

C'dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks