• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hehehehehe...it begins...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Jack-Stands! Got elbow room on the other side to work?
What is your door height(will it fit back out the door when your done)?

AJMBLAZER

11.00R16 Michelin XL's on GM 16" factory steelies (MAYBE some of the 99+ 2500HD bling bling 16" aluminum wheels...MAYBE...)
Minor fender trimming that's pretty much already been done and they should fit. Debating 1" lift in the front and moving the axle forwards an inch for clearance and to center it in the wheel well.

Ummm...the door height is 7' at the jamb. I have about 3" of clearance side to side and less than 8" of vertical clearance when I pull it in. I can make it taller but not by much.
As far as elbow room yeah, there's a little...obviously you can remove tires and roll them out around the side. :?

Small garages suck!

amanco

Re: RE: Hehehehehe...it begins...

AJMBLAZER said:
Small garages suck!
No matter how bad you think you have it, there is always some one who has it worse out there. Just makes you appreciate the space you have and you use every square inch of it! Believe it or not there is a piano back in there I am refinishing for my daughter. :shock:

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Hehehehehe...it begins...

Yeah, I lived in an apartment complex before this and "my garage" was my buddy's 80-year old house's dirty sand floor garage.

Years ago I used to belong to a Chevy forum where there was a member from Germany who owned a mid 90's Chevy Z71 with 3" of lift and 33's...
...and owned a typical German house with a typical German single car garage...he had to fold the mirrors in every time he put it in and could barely climb in by himself. Rain, sleet, snow, or shine his gf had to either climb in through the passenger side window or wait until he had it outside.
Had to put one of those short stubby antennae on it because he kept snapping the stock one off...

Yeah, there's always worse...

BigB84

Always be thankful that you have a garage!, I'm still in the dark ages of trying to find some shade undera tree in the back yard just to change my oil and grease up the joints.

BigB84

Hell Yea! Didn't think you were thinkin bout someting that drastic from the cucv norm. I'm all about 38's, Back in my college days I ran a 1994 chevy 1500 4x4 w/ 9" superlift and 38" swamper sx

AJMBLAZER

11.00R16 basically equals a 38x11R16. The tires they used to put on the USMC's LAV-25. True to size, narrow which I prefer, almost guaranteed to be round, and balance like car tires. Oh yeah, and they're radials with an E load rating and big chunky tread.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I had good luck with a Skyjacker 3 inch lift on my 85 one ton. Front springs, blocks and u bolts in the rear and some Rancho shocks and 33 BFGs. Served me well for 12 years. Rode good too. Put a drop link in the front too.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

He's actually just teasing you guys...............all he is really doing is rotating the tires. :razz:

AJMBLAZER

Yeah...one of those rotations where your tires and wheels disappear and then reappear after a few weeks completely different... :D

DavidB

Wow I thought the night time tire removal crew struck and left it high and dry.Go with the LAV tires that should be awesome when done.

Croatan_Kid

Awesome plans....I really like them tires. Where could one go about procuring some and what can you expect to pay for them? Also, how much lift are you gunna run if any?

Croatan_Kid

Awesome plans....I really like them tires. Where could one go about procuring some and what can you expect to pay for them? Also, how much lift are you gunna run if any?

Man! Yall would kill to have a shop like mine. I reckon I'm lucky to have one. We've gotta 32x50 with a 10 foot inside ceiling height and when we move we're building another one the same size with a higher ceiling, high clearance commercial doors and a lift :D

Croatan_Kid

I've been planning on running 37x12.50-16 or 35x12.50-16 SSRs on mine whenever I get around to lifting it. Whatever I do I really only want to lift it 4 inches with a shackle flip rear, etc....mainly to keep a lower COG, plus I like the stuffed look. I saw Peterson's 4wheel & Off-road's project Army Truck; they ran 37 x-terrains on 4inches and trimmed it. I think it looks pretty awsesome. However, seeing those Michelins and reading his feelings on them has made me consider them as a good candidate to run on my truck. They'd last forever wouldn't they? Any insight on those tires would be great. :D

AJMBLAZER

The tires aren't expensive if you can still find a place that is selling them for what they are, military surplus.
My set SHOULD cost me $620 delivered with a spare and about 75% tread. Mounting, balancing beads, and the wheels are extra obviously.

My plan is wheel width and backspacing, some selective fender modification, and possibly a few other things...along with following in the footsteps of those who have gone before. That and not running a wide ass tire...
At most there will be about 2" of actual lift. The rest will be moving the axle forwards, moving the fenders away, and keeping the tires away from the fenders.