• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hehehehehe...it begins...

AK_M1028

AJMBLAZER said:
The tires aren't expensive if you can still find a place that is selling them for what they are, military surplus.
My set SHOULD cost me $620 delivered with a spare and about 75% tread. Mounting, balancing beads, and the wheels are extra obviously.
Wow, that's an awesome price. I found some new ones for $550 per tire!!! I'd love to find some used ones in good shape for that price. Althought shipping to Alaska is expensive so I'd probably end up paying close to new anyway.

AJMBLAZER

There's a set on eBay at any given time. Some of the surplus trucks and equipment dealers say they can still get them as well.

I'm getting mine through a guy that's been selling a truckload he bought for most of this year. Stumbled across him and couldn't pass up the deal. Good guy and he gets good reviews. Think he offered them on here at one point actually. I've seen him everywhere.

84cucv1ton

if it matters to anyone. my friend in NJ. has MANY of those tires. some used. some brand new. watch ebay. thats where that are going.

AJMBLAZER

Mostly done. Just gotta do the work to clean up my cutting and fitment work.

Ended up only lifting the front 1" and not moving the axle forwards. The front driveshaft isn't long enough to be moved forwards much at all, let alone an inch or inch and a half. Moving the axle forwards an inch would probably eliminate almost all the rubbing but I've actually opened up a few areas where crap would accumulate anyways.

Rides SOOOO much better with the radial XL's than those HMMWV bias plies. Death wobble is gone and no more cold bias ply morning thump. The extra 2-3" of tire height also tame the gears a lot more. Still goes pretty good but seems to be quieter as the engine isn't spinning so fast at 55mph.
Still trying to tune the psi of the tires as it's a bit bouncy right now. At about 35psi but that's still probably a bit high. These things are load rated at over 4500-lbs at 80psi! Big Ugly only weighs about 6k...

Oh yeah, and why I didn't lift it any further...

Attachments

spicergear

I've run those 1100x16 XL's on the M715's with good success. Fit with no lift, run nice and quiet...actually too quiet. I had swapped over from a set of 37x13x16 Boggers that sounded like a 4 engine cargo plane to the XLs and the quiet lull hum of the XL's was sort of a let down. :)

AJMBLAZER

That will be done soon.

However they're in such good shape I almost feel bad about taking sandpaper to them...

Yeah, the XL's have a distinct humm to them but nothing like those RT/II's did. Their noise with the quieter engine isn't bad at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks