• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helical cut hub gears

Aviator85

I'm getting ready to start changing out all the wheel bearings in my hmmwv and was considering changing the hub gears to the helical cut gears.

Would this even be possible? Or would I have to get a completely new H1 alpha hub due to them redisigning the hub specifically for a helical gear and the axial load that is added?

Aviator85

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too.. and maybe a new spindle with it?

Would the axial load produced by the helical gears cause problems later on like reducing bearing life or other issues?

Bravojmc

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too.. and maybe a new spindle with it?

Would the axial load produced by the helical gears cause problems later on like reducing bearing life or other issues?
Tell us why you want to do this....? Do you not like the Humvee rock...? IMHO this is one of many things I enjoy about our trucks...

Aviator85

Bravojmc, I actually do like the rock in the hmmwv I think it's pretty cool. Im just getting ready to redo all the bearing and with that I was also considering changing it over to 12k spur and output gear to run the 12k half shafts..

I figured while I was there I'd just replace the spur and output with helical just because they are stronger and reduces the noise on deceleration.

So I guess noise would be the main reason for me to go with helical. It's just hard for me to hear what's going on with everything else in the vehicle with the hub growl going on.

But its just a thought I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Just wanted to get some more opinions on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks