• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Helitool conversion calipers

noodlehead333

I've been trying to locate calipers for my conversion but haven't been impressed with the ones I've found so far. According to the instructions I should be looking for '71 to '78 GM 3/4 ton 4x4 calipers. But the only ones I've found so far are Cardone single piston calipers that don't look capable of stopping close to 7000 lbs of truck (or at least that I don't TRUST to stop 7000 lbs of truck.) Unfortunately no one publishes engineering schematics of anything so I can't find anything other than by cross-referencing for the suggested 71-78 calipers. Anyone got any ideas?

Jones

My '98 Dodge w/ Cummins weighs over 7K and has single piston calipers in front.
I've hauled an M900 series five ton Rockwell drive axle in the pick-up bed with the steer axle in a utility trailer in tow. Also in on the move was a transfer case for an M900 and some odds and ends.
Barstow, Ca. to Sacramento in both mountain and flat terrain without a bit of problem.

I'd feel confident using single piston calipers if you can't find anything you're more comfortable with.

CGarbee

I just go to my local (insert store name here) low cost auto parts store and tell them that I have a '78 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 w/350 auto... Walk out with loaded calipers and away I go. Works just great with Ray's setup.

I've done about ten trucks using the setup (mine have four wheel discs, some friends only went with front discs which I did on my first one until I had to replace the rear shoes on the stock setup) and have never had a problem with stopping straight and short using the single piston "stock" GM style calipers, even when panic stopping from 75mph on with a fully loaded truck pulling a fully loaded M101A1 (about 12k GVW).

M37Dodge

Ditto what the others said. The single piston callipers are reliable and are sufficient for the M37's braking needs. I run Helitool discs in the front w/ 11.00 x 16 tires, which weigh more than the OEM tires. I can lock up the tires while braking. I also am using a dual reservior master cylinder for a 3/4 ton chevy truck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allright, I have brake issues and am thinking of doing the GM master cylinder/disk brake conversion. How do you guys like them? What kind of time frame to get the work done from ugly truckling? Is it worth it? Opinions?:-D

randyscycle

Keep in mind the truck you are stopping with discs now used to be stopped with drums. Granted the drums were old tech and had severe limitations by todays standards, but still they stopped. The calipers required for this conversion will be light years ahead of the stock setup and more than enough to do the job.

Tanner

And the cost benefits of less expensive brake components, and lack of adjustment requirements are added benefits of the disc conversion...

Tanner

WCRiot

Here is a link to the calipers that I think would work. Am I wrong?
RockAuto Parts Catalog
UNFORTUNATELY i CANT POST A DIRECT LINK.
Lets post a Part NUmber so that everyone has it for future reference
There is no such thing as a silverado back then. I chose the C10 truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks