• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello, first Deuce, questions. PTO's etc.

windyhill

Hello all, I've been lurking here off and on for a few years and just acquired my first big truck. 1967 Deuce with a white multi fuel engine. A little back history. I've run on our local fire department for over 20 years, this truck was our brush truck we used till it was replace with a 5 ton. We acquired it from the forestry and used it as part of mutual aid program. After it was decommissioned and stripped of fire gear, it sat for a while and then I bought it at government auction. I've bled out the brakes, and added two new batteries and it's up and running! I've always loved this truck and it's a lot of fun. I've been trying to decide what direction to go with it. Looking into putting singles onto it for traction but want to keep costs down, and it currently has 10 like new radial 900x20's with 95% tread so it's hard to justify. Power steering would be nice but the cost is more then I have into the whole truck so far. A friend of mine just offered me a crane he pulled off his F550. It's about 11' long retracted and extends to 20' and can lift 6000 lbs. it seams like it could come in handy but I would need to do a bit of fab work and figure out how to hook up a PTO to run the hydraulics. What PTO options do I have? The neighbor has an old '52 GMC deuce that had a winch on it, it's and automatic and has a PTO on the trans still but trans looks different. would that pto work? The other way to go would be to put a dump on it, there seams to be a good # of folks that have done the here and am searching through threads trying to find how I could do this on a budget.

OhDuck22

Welcome! I just got my first deuce recently and it was a Brush truck too. Did you by chance buy one of the deueces for sale on GSA Auctions in PA?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. The G742 GMCs have the PTO for the winch on the transfer case. They're not the same as what's found on the m35 deuces. You can use just the winch itself on your truck if you don't have one though.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships and events to come. Sounds like you have plethora of ideas...Well the first one could be no cost and easy to carry out. Take off the rear wheels and reverse a single one of each. And There you have it. Singled out. If you don't like the looks, just turn them round again and add the removed wheels. P.S. use the Original inner stem nuts to affix the reversed wheels.

windyhill

I'm looking into getting a boom crane but I need a PTO to run a hydraulic Pump. Looks like maybe the best bet is a unit off the transfer case? This would leave an option open to add a winch at a later date? What PTO and where do I look for one???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks