• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello folks. M1008, convert to Veg Oil?

kapnklug

Actually, Kieth_J, Rudolf Diesel designed the diesel engine to run on vegetable oil, as a way for farmers to compete with heavy industry. :cookoo: Many people (like myself, in my M1009 and VW) have run 100% WVO for years with no ill effects. I consider my system overkill in both filtration and heating, but it will not damage the injector pump, unlike ULSD which needs added lubrication to avoid damaging a 25yr old diesel.

coecamo

Biodiesel is very usefull, bio molecules have more oxygen atoms in them increasing O2 inthe cylinders. Veg oil ,cooking oil must have Glycerin removed. Burning Glycerin is BAD. Alkinility must be controlled to a narrow proper span. Acidity in used motor oil is a problem. Procede cautiously. COECAMO

Keith_J

Actually, Kieth_J, Rudolf Diesel designed the diesel engine to run on vegetable oil, as a way for farmers to compete with heavy industry. :cookoo: Many people (like myself, in my M1009 and VW) have run 100% WVO for years with no ill effects. I consider my system overkill in both filtration and heating, but it will not damage the injector pump, unlike ULSD which needs added lubrication to avoid damaging a 25yr old diesel.

Rudolph Diesel didn't design the injection system in your vehicle, period. With the aluminum case (an amphoteric metal, it acts as both an acid and base) and high alloy steel parts, all are highly reactive to the free fatty acids in waste vegetable oil. And please quit with the "heavy industry" bull. Back then, the major use of petroleum distillates was lighting. Gasoline was a waste product as it was too dangerous. There was far too little petroleum for any other use, hence the use of common vegetable oils. 100 years of materials science and engine development around petroleum fuels means modern diesels, including the 6.2 liter GM, are just not suited to WVO.

Did you even read what I posted? How many miles do you have on your vehicles with running waste vegetable oil?

Yes, early ULSD had SOME problems with injector pump wear. But never the Stanadyne in the 6.2 as it only has a maximum injection pressure of 12ksi. Common rail engines today do well over twice that, hence the problems. And all that foam when filling up? That is from the lubricity package.

azex

Hi Derek, you might wanna tone it down a bit. This ain't the FALFILES.
"Another county heard from". --apropos of nothing.

I would hope this isn't the FAL FIles. I don't know the membership here well, but I doubt they'd sit still and be ripped off time and again, and then solicited for donations to pay those who were ripped off.

How's your Golf Shirt fit?

D.

Hal O'Peridol

"Another county heard from". --apropos of nothing.

I would hope this isn't the FAL FIles. I don't know the membership here well, but I doubt they'd sit still and be ripped off time and again, and then solicited for donations to pay those who were ripped off.

How's your Golf Shirt fit?

D.
What golf shirt. I still remember all the members who got ripped off in the "falkit flood" . Never sent Jen a dime.

I was jes sayin', folks here are more low key and enjoy good discussions. A little less of what some may consider a "confrontational attitude" would be good. As you well know, it is easy to be misunderstood on the innerweb.

Wasn't trying to jerk your chain, just trying to help.

b4thundr

Hi just thought i would chime in on this too...I have been running veggie oil in my 1995 Ford powerstroke for four years now been using a greasecar kit runs great, saving fuel, yada yada yada. so here are some other things to think about.........i have found and tell people that "think" they want to do this its a commitment! you will spend some dough on pumps, totes, heaters, filters, rags, gloves, speedy dry, cleaners, and of course your kit, im sure there is more lol!! its as messy as you want to make it! and you need a place to do it store it and you don't care if it gets messy , I don't care how careful you are you will make a mess!! I will put money on it every time!! yes I have done it too. now as far as running it in these trucks... heat!!! you have got to get this oil hot so it burns cleanly!!! and do not run it in hopped up "hot" motors let a stock truck burn it cleanly or it will build up in the motor and hurt it. i could go on and on with this...i don't know how hot these motors will get someone else im sure can answer it, I put a 205 deg thermostat in my ford to make sure its nice and hot!! I had a centrifuge still do I found letting the oil set works just as good four to five months minimum . the 275 gallon totes work awesome!! i also bought a 12x24 shed to do this all in i should take some pics lol..........aua

4bogginchevys

Hi just thought i would chime in on this too...I have been running veggie oil in my 1995 Ford powerstroke for four years now been using a greasecar kit runs great, saving fuel, yada yada yada. so here are some other things to think about.........i have found and tell people that "think" they want to do this its a commitment! you will spend some dough on pumps, totes, heaters, filters, rags, gloves, speedy dry, cleaners, and of course your kit, im sure there is more lol!! its as messy as you want to make it! and you need a place to do it store it and you don't care if it gets messy , I don't care how careful you are you will make a mess!! I will put money on it every time!! yes I have done it too. now as far as running it in these trucks... heat!!! you have got to get this oil hot so it burns cleanly!!! and do not run it in hopped up "hot" motors let a stock truck burn it cleanly or it will build up in the motor and hurt it. i could go on and on with this...i don't know how hot these motors will get someone else im sure can answer it, I put a 205 deg thermostat in my ford to make sure its nice and hot!! I had a centrifuge still do I found letting the oil set works just as good four to five months minimum . the 275 gallon totes work awesome!! i also bought a 12x24 shed to do this all in i should take some pics lol..........aua
I dont have the facility to do this so it's not possible for me right now. Was it worth it? How long do you have to have good results before it has paid for itself and the profit stays in your pocket. This appears to be a bit of a touchy subject maybe we should break it wide open and talk real money.:razz:

b4thundr

i drive alot so its deff has saved me money!! for sure i have no doubt. it was worth it for sure i would do it again!! i drive alot so it helps for sure also plow snow on it for profit!! lol I love a challenge!!

climberguy87

I have a m1009 and i have been researching wvo and just in the money i would save i think it would be worth it even if i need to replace parts or even a motor . i would save roughly 8,000 per year . it would be interesting to hear from some one who runs wvo in a 6.2 who has run it for many years to see what problems they had and what mistakes they made

jag7720

I have an m1009 also and have ran wvo for some time. The weak point in the system is the IP on these trucks.... I guess if you had to replace one each year, you would still be saving money.

Watch for air leaks... they wreak havoc on your system and your starter...

Other than that it will run just the same as any other truck...

BTW I have a custom 40 gallon tank that would fit in your M1009 really well... PM me if your are interested.

kentuckycucv

I run wvo in my m1009. single tank filtered to 20 microns. I filter thru a string wound filter system with big blue 10 inch filters. The kind you find at Home depo in the water filtration department. and have a water seperator heated prefilter befor the stock fuel filter. My veggie oil is used one time during lent for the church fish fry.... (Im burning Holy Oil) 4 years 30000 miles. same injector pump ... have had the same issues with my truck that everyone else running diesel has had. Today i am researhing fuel pumps bc mine I think is done. Did it go out bc of wvo? or bc its 26 years old... I dont know. but Im a "going for it" and all the Internet Know it alls can keep paying $$$4 Plus a gallon. You are not going to destroy your Indestructable truck. Go For it!
:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks